Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

On "Closing Church"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    We're even practicing something as simple Facebook Live because a lot of our older people can manage that!
    We need more tools than that, natch. I need to share a browser window for Airsketch Pro ... that's the tablet in tablet professor for me. Others will want to share PowerPoint presentations. Everyone will want to share PDFs, and point, and highlight, and whatnot.

But the basic package is great. I put up a youtube video yesterday, showing faculty how to get online with a PowerPoint presentation, from first time login to Blackboard, in 90 seconds.

Comment

One of my terminally I'll members (Ive mentioned him elsewhere) asked me to stop by for a visit. He was VERY concerned that he needed to be in Church, but had a very compromised immune system. He told me that his doctor advised him to stay away from people, because if HE got this virus, he would certainly "be toast".

Then, before I could say anything, he said, "I bet you're going to tell me to listen to my doctor". I said, "No, I'm going to tell you to listen to your WIFE, who will have to deal with your loss".

(she was sitting across the room listening intently)

I told him he was BANNED from Church until further notice.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Absolutely understandable - and we're considering that, of course. I have a hard time, though, putting the Church at the lowest rung of the totem pole when folks seem to be gathering everywhere else for just about anything else, and even our restaurants remain open, grocery stores are PACKED....

("rung of the totem pole"... hmmmm)
        I hear ya ... but when everyone else is jumping over the cliff, it's all the more important to set a better example, or so it seems to me. Somebody's gotta lead. You've built a reputation. This would be a good time to use it.

Comment

One of my terminally I'll members (Ive mentioned him elsewhere) asked me to stop by for a visit. He was VERY concerned that he needed to be in Church, but had a very compromised immune system. He told me that his doctor advised him to stay away from people, because if HE got this virus, he would certainly "be toast".

Then, before I could say anything, he said, "I bet you're going to tell me to listen to my doctor". I said, "No, I'm going to tell you to listen to your WIFE, who will have to deal with your loss".

(she was sitting across the room listening intently)

I told him he was BANNED from Church until further notice.
          Hell^yeah, if you'll pardon my mathspeak.

Comment

One of the things I've noticed when other churches locally announce their closing is that they seem to manage to pug "online giving" within the first few paragraphs. I simply refuse to do that. If people want to give, they'll give, and I certainly don't want it to look like "we care more about your money than we do your presence".

Amazingly enough, one of our members stopped by this morning and said, "I know, in these troubling times, that finances will be challenging, so I want to help out - let me know if you need more". He left a check for $25,000!!!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I said, "No, I'm going to tell you to listen to your WIFE, who will have to deal with your loss".
              I can't do anything about my sense of humor.

I read that, thinking of the answer, "We've been married 60 years, why start now?"

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                I can't do anything about my sense of humor.

I read that, thinking of the answer, "We've been married 60 years, why start now?"
                Actually, this particular man has a similar sense of humor, and uttered durn-near those exact same words.

Comment

One of the things I've noticed when other churches locally announce their closing is that they seem to manage to pug "online giving" within the first few paragraphs. I simply refuse to do that. If people want to give, they'll give, and I certainly don't want it to look like "we care more about your money than we do your presence".

Amazingly enough, one of our members stopped by this morning and said, "I know, in these troubling times, that finances will be challenging, so I want to help out - let me know if you need more". He left a check for $25,000!!!
                  Do you need another thank you card?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So, one of our guys, a retired broadcast engineer, stopped by a bit ago with an interesting proposal. Our West parking lot (our bigger of the two) is pretty much "wrapped around" our main sanctuary entrance, the entrance being on a landing about 7 steps higher than the parking lot. Kind of a "built in" platform for addressing a crowd. He is proposing that we COULD do "drive in church", as he has a low power AM/FM transmitter where we could broadcast from our portico to the parking lot, people staying in cars and listening in on an AM or FM station.

Necessity certainly is the mother of invention. (You've probably seen real estate outfits use this when you drive up to a house for sale, and there's a sign that says "tune in to FM 105.5 to hear details")

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      I wish you would let me buy some -- those are beautiful. The ONLY suggestion would be that some of them get "squashed" in the mail, and some of the features on the cards pierce the envelopes --- but it certainly doesn't detract from the beauty of the card!!!

Comment

(My card is propped up about five feet away from me right now .... )

Comment

So, one of our guys, a retired broadcast engineer, stopped by a bit ago with an interesting proposal. Our West parking lot (our bigger of the two) is pretty much "wrapped around" our main sanctuary entrance, the entrance being on a landing about 7 steps higher than the parking lot. Kind of a "built in" platform for addressing a crowd. He is proposing that we COULD do "drive in church", as he has a low power AM/FM transmitter where we could broadcast from our portico to the parking lot, people staying in cars and listening in on an AM or FM station.

Necessity certainly is the mother of invention. (You've probably seen real estate outfits use this when you drive up to a house for sale, and there's a sign that says "tune in to FM 105.5 to hear details")
                          Cool you can do that, but I'm thinking online services would have wider reach, and doing both would be needlessly challenging.

Comment

I wish you would let me buy some -- those are beautiful. The ONLY suggestion would be that some of them get "squashed" in the mail, and some of the features on the cards pierce the envelopes --- but it certainly doesn't detract from the beauty of the card!!!
                            As I said before, I refuse to sell my cards to friends.

I know the issues with the "buckshot" envelopes from the mailing process.

I've been trying to make flatter cards with different flower centres instead of the pearls to try to prevent that from happening. And one has to be careful putting the card into the envelope so flower petals and such don't get bent.

Didn't know they came with instructions, did ya?

Last edited by mossrose; 03-18-2020, 05:33 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                              (My card is propped up about five feet away from me right now .... )

Why so far away? It's not contagious!

Comment

Why so far away? It's not contagious!

Okay, seriously, it's because that puts it just out of my reach, leaving everything I'm working on within reaching radius ... currently a tablet, three textbooks, a couple of printouts of journal articles, and my scratch notes on typing paper. I work from the laptop on the tiny rattan table in front of me. Everything else is on a side table.

That card's got a front row seat to a real education.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X