Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

On "Closing Church"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article....

Churches, Coronavirus, and the New York Times

For example, they report:

More than 650 coronavirus cases have been linked to nearly 40 churches and religious events across the United States since the beginning of the pandemic, with many of them erupting over the last month as Americans resumed their pre-pandemic activities, according to a New York Times database.

That’s 650 since the beginning of the pandemic, mind you. There are now 3 million people infected in the United States.

Furthermore, there were 60,000 cases each of the past two days in America. That's almost 100 times the 650 cases that the New York Times reports in churches—and that is since the beginning of the pandemic.

And...

On that point, the headline is misleading. Having 650 cases in my county might be news, but 650 nationally out of three million cases is a headline looking for a story. The real story is this: churches are gathering and remarkably few infections are taking place.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You can tell his church is in Texas: They are all wearing cowboy boots.
      And bandit masks.
      When I Survey....

Comment

• Well...we're closing in person services down again due to the increased number of cases (not because of Governor).
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          Well...we're closing in person services down again due to the increased number of cases (not because of Governor).
          Understandable - so far, we're able to manage just by suggesting people stay home, and only come if they really feel the need --- our attendance has been 20 or so, with PLENTY of room to spread out, and almost half of us on stage or in the sound room.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• We just survived our first heat wave (by anybody's standards - 110 to 112 degrees) ... and it continues to be hot (100+ degrees for days in a row) and that in conjunction with the numbers .... ah well. We did discuss parking lot tent meeting type, but again the heat on the asphalt...um not a good idea. They ARE talking about it....but.

And we ARE legendary for our high HHHHHOTT winds. 😬

Comment

• Well..we are back to in person services this coming Sunday! 🎉🎉🎉

A little clarification...due to Zoom making Max Headroom-like hash of the announcement on closing down last Sunday, and despite repeated replays , I did not get that our main reason was that some families had COVID 19 exposures of some kind...but all is clearly well now.

Comment

Well..we are back to in person services this coming Sunday! 🎉🎉🎉

A little clarification...due to Zoom making Max Headroom-like hash of the announcement on closing down last Sunday, and despite repeated replays , I did not get that our main reason was that some families had COVID 19 exposures of some kind...but all is clearly well now.
                About the time we started livestreaming (19 weeks ago?) our internet provider, Suddenlink, called to ask me if we were going to be livestreaming.

When I told them yes, they asked, "can we quadruple your speed for you for $10 a month more?" Wow -- that made a BIG difference!

Comment

Well..we are back to in person services this coming Sunday! 🎉🎉🎉

Are you good with this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    About the time we started livestreaming (19 weeks ago?) our internet provider, Suddenlink, called to ask me if we were going to be livestreaming.

When I told them yes, they asked, "can we quadruple your speed for you for $10 a month more?" Wow -- that made a BIG difference!
                    The video is still very choppy frame wise

What ever happened with that fancy new camera fixing it? Your Wednesday broadcasts look great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      The video is still very choppy frame wise

What ever happened with that fancy new camera fixing it? Your Wednesday broadcasts look great.
                      Thanks, HOPEFULLY with this total overhaul of our sound system, I can talk my VOLUNTEER sound people into looking into the camera situation.

I honestly don't get it --- I had tested it out myself, and was AMAZED with the "studio quality" video from that camera. But, I agree, it's yukky.

That's one of the big problems with volunteers, you really can't push them very hard.

As for the Wednesday night stuff - last night was simply the built-in laptop camera, and prior to that, it was just a simple logitech C920.

Comment

Are you good with this?
                        I am. Why?

Comment

I am. Why?
                          Just wondering if you were comfortable with it. I'm glad you are!

Comment

Just wondering if you were comfortable with it. I'm glad you are!
                            Here's the deal --- same as I tell people at my Church..... do what you are comfortable doing, with regards to being "in Church" or watching from home.
                            I am on record as telling people STAY HOME --- unless you just feel the need or desire to sit in a pew.

We have been averaging 20-30 people on Sunday Mornings the last few Sundays (had gone up to 70-80, then 'round 2' hit) with PLENTY of room for them to spread out.

I wear a mask when I greet people, just because I know some of folks are big on masks. When I go up on the platform, no mask.

The last few months, according to Google Analytics, we have about 1,000 people watching our service! WAY more people that I'd reach "in house", and some of them from foreign countries.
                            It's rather amazing!

We also got several prayer requests from people we don't even know, so we address those as though they were family.

Comment

• Is that counting that New Jersey guy that keeps popping in a half hour late?
                              When I Survey....

Comment

• Originally posted by Faber View Post
                                Is that counting that New Jersey guy that keeps popping in a half hour late?
                                I always nod to you!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X