Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

I'm the Dummy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yes, my Church of Christ friends use exactly that to show that - in the Old Testament, there were those instruments, but in the New Testament, there are none listed in worship.

I like to use the following illustration:

You're my employee and I instruct you to dig a hole 6 feet deep and 6 feet in diameter.
    After you get started, I come out and yell at you because you are using shovels, a pick axe, a wheelbarrow....
    I never TOLD you to use TOOLS!!!!

That's pretty much what, in my opinion, this Church of Christ thing is --- an argument from silence.

By the way --- I actually had a guy argue that HIS New Testament (as printed) included Psalms and Proverbs!
    ha. Yeah. If they were mentioned in Psalms, which are actually songs, then God doesn't have any problem with using instruments. Maybe they weren't mentioned in the NT because we already had a book of songs mentioning instruments. No need to repeat yourself. It was taken for granted.

But that also means Mossy can't use any modern instruments like piano's or keyboards!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      ha. Yeah. If they were mentioned in Psalms, which are actually songs, then God doesn't have any problem with using instruments. Maybe they weren't mentioned in the NT because we already had a book of songs mentioning instruments. No need to repeat yourself. It was taken for granted.
      I think they weren't mentioned in the NT exactly for the same reason that I didn't tell you to use a shovel and pick axe, etc ---- I trusted you to use your good sense!

But that also means Mossy can't use any modern instruments like piano's or keyboards!
      As long as she can produce a joyful noise, she's covered!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Because certain instruments aren't mentioned in the NT doesn't mean they aren't permitted.

Well, I never was very good on piano, so, yuh!

But my church can use 'em all they want (although I've yet to see a keyboard), and you should hear what MelMak can do with a computer!

He probably has a link in his sig.....

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I think they weren't mentioned in the NT exactly for the same reason that I didn't tell you to use a shovel and pick axe, etc ---- I trusted you to use your good sense!
          I would have used a backhoe.

Comment

Uh-huh.

As long as she can produce a joyful noise, she's covered!
            As long as the song I'm singing is worthy of praising the Lord, I'm covered!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Uh-huh.

As long as the song I'm singing is worthy of praising the Lord, I'm covered!
              My cousin told me if you don't know the words, just mouth "watermelon" over and over and no one can tell.

Comment

My cousin told me if you don't know the words, just mouth "watermelon" over and over and no one can tell.
                With modern "worship" music, you can just pick one of those 7 or so words and keep repeating that!

Oh, wait......

Comment

I would have used a backhoe.
                  Well, sure, if one were available and you knew how to operate it, there is no restriction. (unless, of course, you had to rent one and weren't authorized to spend money, etc)
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, sure, if one were available and you knew how to operate it, there is no restriction. (unless, of course, you had to rent one and weren't authorized to spend money, etc)
                    Too much trouble. I would just use ANFO.

Comment

Too much trouble. I would just use ANFO.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        And that's exactly correct. There is no prohibition in scripture about what instruments can and cannot be used. Every age uses the instruments available.
                        Not necessarily. The Eastern churches have never used instruments in worship (with the exception, IIRC, of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church), even though instruments were available. Some Greek churches have organs in them, but AFAIK they are only used for the staging of religious plays.
                        Our church sometimes uses a full orchestra, sometimes a smaller ensemble, and sometimes only the piano and pipe organ. All are appropriate and all are used in a manner that adds to the music, not overpower it and become just a raucous din.

Remember, God is a God of order, not of chaos, and some "music" is pure chaos.
                        Wait, I thought you were just meeting at home, not attending church (well before this whole COVID thing developed)?
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Not necessarily. The Eastern churches have never used instruments in worship (with the exception, IIRC, of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church), even though instruments were available. Some Greek churches have organs in them, but AFAIK they are only used for the staging of religious plays.
                          I didn't say a church had to use instruments, just that there is no prohibition against them.

Wait, I thought you were just meeting at home, not attending church (well before this whole COVID thing developed)?
                          Yes. That's what we are doing. We been live streaming for a number of years as well as watching archived sermons. We consider it "our church".

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X