Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

When the Spirit Speaks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Thanks. I think.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well I sent the message and it showed she saw it, but no response (been about an hour) so either I scared her off or she is thinking.

But I do feel better about sending it. It's been bothering me for a few days now. That Holy Spirit fellow can really be a pain sometimes.

Comment

Well I sent the message and it showed she saw it, but no response (been about an hour) so either I scared her off or she is thinking.

But I do feel better about sending it. It's been bothering me for a few days now. That Holy Spirit fellow can really be a pain sometimes.

You are hereby released, and it's all up to the Holy Spirit! Doesn't that feel great?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You are hereby released, and it's all up to the Holy Spirit! Doesn't that feel great?
          Not so fast. she responded and said basically she was raised as a baptist but had horrible parents and a terrible childhood. She was baptized at 12 and was 'forced to go to church' - and she prayed to Jesus to help her but he didn't. So very bitter about Christianity.

I told her my story of an alcoholic father and how I became a Christian at 40. She also asked "what about people who never heard about Jesus, what happens to them" and I told her about Romans 2 and how God will judge them by their conscience and that since we are all sinners that means that if they have done what they know is wrong then they will be judged on that. She is also against "fire and brimstone" idea of hell. I told her that I think Hell is more of a place that God set up to give people who want nothing to do with him exactly what they want: a place without God, like CS Lewis said, a place where the doors are locked from the inside. But that I think that is a very scary place I want nothing to do with, not for me or for her. That I want her to be able to see her brother again.

That's where it stands now.

Comment

Not so fast. she responded and said basically she was raised as a baptist but had horrible parents and a terrible childhood. She was baptized at 12 and was 'forced to go to church' - and she prayed to Jesus to help her but he didn't. So very bitter about Christianity.
            Ah, so sad.

I told her my story of an alcoholic father and how I became a Christian at 40. She also asked "what about people who never heard about Jesus, what happens to them" and I told her about Romans 2 and how God will judge them by their conscience and that since we are all sinners that means that if they have done what they know is wrong then they will be judged on that. She is also against "fire and brimstone" idea of hell. I told her that I think Hell is more of a place that God set up to give people who want nothing to do with him exactly what they want: a place without God, like CS Lewis said, a place where the doors are locked from the inside. But that I think that is a very scary place I want nothing to do with, not for me or for her. That I want her to be able to see her brother again.

Well, you're engaged in conversation, and she hasn't slammed the door, so.... good on you.

Comment

She responded to you. That's a good start.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Fair winds and following seas
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Fair winds and following seas
                  She replied:

"I appreciate your concerns, but I do not want to discuss religion or my brother any further. Thank you for your heartfelt words and concerns."

Comment

She replied:

"I appreciate your concerns, but I do not want to discuss religion or my brother any further. Thank you for your heartfelt words and concerns."

While that's sad, you did your job.

Comment

She replied:

I believe this applies...

Scripture Verse: Ezekiel 33

1 The word of the LORD came to me:
                      2 "Son of man, speak to your countrymen and say to them: `When I bring the sword against a land, and the people of the land choose one of their men and make him their watchman,
                      3 and he sees the sword coming against the land and blows the trumpet to warn the people,
                      4 then if anyone hears the trumpet but does not take warning and the sword comes and takes his life, his blood will be on his own head.
                      5 Since he heard the sound of the trumpet but did not take warning, his blood will be on his own head. If he had taken warning, he would have saved himself.
                      6 But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes the life of one of them, that man will be taken away because of his sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for his blood.'

© Copyright Original Source

You "blew the trumpet" and she chose to dismiss it.

Comment

I believe this applies...

Scripture Verse: Ezekiel 33

1 The word of the LORD came to me:
                        2 "Son of man, speak to your countrymen and say to them: `When I bring the sword against a land, and the people of the land choose one of their men and make him their watchman,
                        3 and he sees the sword coming against the land and blows the trumpet to warn the people,
                        4 then if anyone hears the trumpet but does not take warning and the sword comes and takes his life, his blood will be on his own head.
                        5 Since he heard the sound of the trumpet but did not take warning, his blood will be on his own head. If he had taken warning, he would have saved himself.
                        6 But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes the life of one of them, that man will be taken away because of his sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for his blood.'

© Copyright Original Source

You "blew the trumpet" and she chose to dismiss it.
                        I will continue to keep her in my prayers. And who knows? Maybe what we discussed will weigh on her mind or come to her again one day and she will choose to accept Jesus.

She did say she was baptized when she was 12, but didn't mention if she actually meant it or did it because her parents 'forced her to'. So she might just be a 'lost sheep' and needs to be led back.

Comment

I will continue to keep her in my prayers. And who knows? Maybe what we discussed will weigh on her mind or come to her again one day and she will choose to accept Jesus.

She did say she was baptized when she was 12, but didn't mention if she actually meant it or did it because her parents 'forced her to'. So she might just be a 'lost sheep' and needs to be led back.
                          I used to be bothered when I knew there was somebody "in the house" when I was preaching, and I was pretty sure they were unsaved, but when "invitation time" came, they didn't respond.

My Pastor/mentor told me "you did your job". When you preach (or witness) you are sounding the trumpet, and what they do with it is up to them.

That's why I like the motto we use at our Church .... "Share Jesus in the Power of the Holy Spirit and leave the results to God".

Comment

I used to be bothered when I knew there was somebody "in the house" when I was preaching, and I was pretty sure they were unsaved, but when "invitation time" came, they didn't respond.

My Pastor/mentor told me "you did your job". When you preach (or witness) you are sounding the trumpet, and what they do with it is up to them.

That's why I like the motto we use at our Church .... "Share Jesus in the Power of the Holy Spirit and leave the results to God".
                            Yeah at the last Tweb convention, our own Teallaura gave us a nice sermon on the last day that I still remember. It was about how our job was not to save people. That's God's job. Our job is to shine the light of the gospel so that the people can see the way. The Holy Spirit takes it from there.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X