Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

When the Spirit Speaks...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When the Spirit Speaks...

    There have been times in my life when I felt God was directly speaking to my heart, and obedience tended to validate that.

    So, first of all, I think it's WAY TOO OFTEN that people say "God put this or that on my heart....." or "God told me...."

    But I DO believe there are "promptings from the Spirit" in our lives, when we are in tune with His Will.

    One of my clearest examples, (and I may provide more) was when I was a bi-vocational pastor, operating my computer business as my main income.

    I was at a client location installing a new Novell Netware Server (yeah, long ago) and was making good progress. I planned on completing the server that night, commissioning it, and start adding clients in the morning.

    About 3 pm, I got a phone call from one of my church members. Meredith was Hubert's daughter. Hubert had been a deacon, and was at war with me for the first 2 years of my service at the church. I often refer to it as 1 year of nuclear war, then 2 years of cold war, before the Spirit of the Lord seemed to come in and really bless that church.

    Hubert was a cantankerous old deacon, but a good rancher, and he's the guy who first taught me how to "poke cows". Though our relationship started off rather stormy, there came a point where he came into my church office one day and told me he would no longer be a thorn in my side. I knew something was wrong. He proceeded to explain that his doctor told him he had cancer, and had less than 6 months to live. He planned on going and "seeing the country", and he wouldn't be around anymore to do battle with me.

    I prayed for him, and he really seemed to soften. (He had spent nearly 3 years trying to get me fired)

    Back to the phone call, just about 3 months after Hubert's words to me. Meredith just asked, "Hey, Dad has been in bed for a few days now, and I don't think he's going to be around more than a couple weeks or so, so when you have time, would you mind stopping by"? I told her I would be happy to stop by, and it would probably be the first of the week (only 4 days away).

    I went back to configuring the server, but something kept gnawing at me, and I really felt like the Lord was saying, "no - NOW".

    I told my client that I had something come up, and I'd be back in the morning. Then I drove to Hubert's house.

    Meredith greeted me, and pointed to the hallway, and said "he's back there...."

    I walked down the hall, and there was this "tiny man" - he had been such a big rancher guy, but had wasted away to nearly skeletal, in this big KING SIZED bed, he looked so frail.

    I sat beside him on the bed, and he looked over at me and held out his hand. I held his hand, and I said something like "I just came by to say hello". He smiled somewhat, and said, "no, you just came by to say goodbye". I thought he was kidding, weak as he was, but he said, "I have something I need to tell you".

    I said, "Sure, Hubert, whatever you want to say...." And he looked up at me with those steely blue eyes and said, "I just want you to know that I think you're a fine fella".

    He coughed a couple times, wheezed once, closed his eyes, and he was gone.

    Just like that. Still holding my hand, his head still turned in my direction.

    To this day, I keep thinking - I am SO GLAD that I didn't continue working on that server, and followed - what I believe to be - the prompting of the Spirit.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

  • #2
    I think I might be feeling something like that right now and don't know how to handle it.

    A good friend of mine died about a week ago. I met and got talking to his sister on facebook about his funeral and reminiscing about his life. I mentioned that I was a Christian and so was my friend, Russ, and we would see each other again. She said she wasn't a Christian but believed in a "higher power" and talked about an out of body experience she had when she was on an operating table.

    It didn't feel right at the time to get "preachy" with her about the gospel (this was all in text in facebook messenger). And at the memorial I met her briefly in person, just to give her a hug and introduce myself. Again, no time to talk. But she looks pretty frail. She was walking with a cane. So more than ever I am feeling I need to talk to her. But I don't know how to go about it or what to say. We really don't know each other and only talk through messenger.

    Any suggestions?


    Comment


    • #3
      I had been a Christian for only about two years and going to college. During the Christmas shopping season I had worked for a few weeks at a local department store. I would keep a few tracts in my shirt pocket ready to be handed out.

      Outside the store was an elderly man selling Christmas tree. I would see him there every time I went out of the store to gather shopping carts from the parking lot. I had felt convicted by the Holy Spirit to give him a tract and talk to him. But I was told that he was the father of the man who owned the store, and I didn't want to cause problems with my job. So I figured may last day on the job would be on December 23, and I could put it off until then.

      December 22 came, and I thought, "Tomorrow will be the day. I will do it!" At the end of the work day, and the doors were locked and the last few customers gone, I went out to collect the last of the shopping carts for the night. I was surprised that the parking lot was still crowded with cars. People were gathered around the old man and his trees.

      I learned on the next day as I returned to work that the old man had suffered a heart attack and died that night.

      When I Survey....

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I think I might be feeling something like that right now and don't know how to handle it.

        A good friend of mine died about a week ago. I met and got talking to his sister on facebook about his funeral and reminiscing about his life. I mentioned that I was a Christian and so was my friend, Russ, and we would see each other again. She said she wasn't a Christian but believed in a "higher power" and talked about an out of body experience she had when she was on an operating table.

        It didn't feel right at the time to get "preachy" with her about the gospel (this was all in text in facebook messenger). And at the memorial I met her briefly in person, just to give her a hug and introduce myself. Again, no time to talk. But she looks pretty frail. She was walking with a cane. So more than ever I am feeling I need to talk to her. But I don't know how to go about it or what to say. We really don't know each other and only talk through messenger.

        Any suggestions?
        I think you've already established "the bridge" - when you shared your common faith with Russ. I think it would be good just to ask her if you could tell her some more about what that faith is and why it's important. Kinda like "I just want to tell you more about what Russ and I believe".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Faber View Post
          I had been a Christian for only about two years and going to college. During the Christmas shopping season I had worked for a few weeks at a local department store. I would keep a few tracts in my shirt pocket ready to be handed out.

          Outside the store was an elderly man selling Christmas tree. I would see him there every time I went out of the store to gather shopping carts from the parking lot. I had felt convicted by the Holy Spirit to give him a tract and talk to him. But I was told that he was the father of the man who owned the store, and I didn't want to cause problems with my job. So I figured may last day on the job would be on December 23, and I could put it off until then.

          December 22 came, and I thought, "Tomorrow will be the day. I will do it!" At the end of the work day, and the doors were locked and the last few customers gone, I went out to collect the last of the shopping carts for the night. I was surprised that the parking lot was still crowded with cars. People were gathered around the old man and his trees.

          I learned on the next day as I returned to work that the old man had suffered a heart attack and died that night.
          I think those kinds of things should be looked at as lessons learned, help us to realize that the prompting of the Spirit (however we interpret that) needs a prompt response.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

            I think you've already established "the bridge" - when you shared your common faith with Russ. I think it would be good just to ask her if you could tell her some more about what that faith is and why it's important. Kinda like "I just want to tell you more about what Russ and I believe".
            I will see if I can work it into the conversation. I just don't want to come on too strong and scare her off.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I will see if I can work it into the conversation. I just don't want to come on too strong and scare her off.
              Understandable.

              I used to pray "Lord, give me an opportunity today to tell somebody about you".

              That changed long ago to "Lord, help me be aware of the opportunities you give me EVERY DAY to tell somebody about you".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                I think you've already established "the bridge" - when you shared your common faith with Russ. I think it would be good just to ask her if you could tell her some more about what that faith is and why it's important. Kinda like "I just want to tell you more about what Russ and I believe".
                OK, how does this sound?

                Ever since we were talking about seeing Russ again and you told me how you believed in a higher power and told me your story of floating above your body on the operating table, I have been wanting to talk to you about what Russ and I believe about God and Christianity. I am not a preachy person and don't want to come across that way, but as a Christian we are told to share our faith with others when we can, and as Christians we do believe that the only path to heaven is through belief in Jesus as our Lord and Savior. As it says in John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

                I would love to share with you what we Christians believe and why. So that you can know more about this higher power you believe in and be sure you will see your brother again one day. If you would like that, just let me know. If not, I am always here to talk to if you change your mind.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                  OK, how does this sound?

                  Ever since we were talking about seeing Russ again and you told me how you believed in a higher power and told me your story of floating above your body on the operating table, I have been wanting to talk to you about what Russ and I believe about God and Christianity.

                  I would love to share with you what we Christians believe and why. So that you can know more about this higher power you believe in and be sure you will see your brother again one day. If you would like that, just let me know. If not, I am always here to talk to if you change your mind.
                  I would start with that and see where the conversation goes from there.
                  sigpic1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                    Understandable.

                    I used to pray "Lord, give me an opportunity today to tell somebody about you".

                    That changed long ago to "Lord, help me be aware of the opportunities you give me EVERY DAY to tell somebody about you".
                    Yeah I can talk about the gospel and my faith all day long on Tweb, but when it comes to face-to-face, even on something like facebook messenger, it suddenly becomes "personal" and real. Someone I know's soul is on the line and I don't want to be the one to mess it up and scare them off. At the same time I don't want to miss an opportunity and find out later they died without Christ.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                      Yeah I can talk about the gospel and my faith all day long on Tweb, but when it comes to face-to-face, even on something like facebook messenger, it suddenly becomes "personal" and real. Someone I know's soul is on the line and I don't want to be the one to mess it up and scare them off. At the same time I don't want to miss an opportunity and find out later they died without Christ.
                      It helps to remind yourself that you are in the role of an interpreter - the proceedings are between the other person and God. For mine - I have found the need to remind myself of the fact a dozen times in five minutes on occasion.
                      sigpic1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Yeah I can talk about the gospel and my faith all day long on Tweb, but when it comes to face-to-face, even on something like facebook messenger, it suddenly becomes "personal" and real. Someone I know's soul is on the line and I don't want to be the one to mess it up and scare them off. At the same time I don't want to miss an opportunity and find out later they died without Christ.
                        I think that comes back to praying for wisdom (James 1:5-6).

                        In a way, though, you're the guy standing on the side of the road where cars are coming your direction, and the bridge is out behind you. Would you hesitate to warn an oncoming driver they're about to fall off into a raging river?

                        (Yeah, I know it's a challenge)

                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                          I think that comes back to praying for wisdom (James 1:5-6).

                          In a way, though, you're the guy standing on the side of the road where cars are coming your direction, and the bridge is out behind you. Would you hesitate to warn an oncoming driver they're about to fall off into a raging river?

                          (Yeah, I know it's a challenge)
                          Been praying for wisdom and for the Holy Spirit to give me the words he wants said and to use me as his vessel.

                          What do you think of my proposed opening above? Any suggestions?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            OK, how does this sound?

                            Ever since we were talking about seeing Russ again and you told me how you believed in a higher power and told me your story of floating above your body on the operating table, I have been wanting to talk to you about what Russ and I believe about God and Christianity. I am not a preachy person and don't want to come across that way, but as a Christian we are told to share our faith with others when we can, and as Christians we do believe that the only path to heaven is through belief in Jesus as our Lord and Savior. As it says in John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

                            I would love to share with you what we Christians believe and why. So that you can know more about this higher power you believe in and be sure you will see your brother again one day. If you would like that, just let me know. If not, I am always here to talk to if you change your mind.
                            Sounds like it hits all the notes in the proper order - more music than noise.

                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                              Sounds like it hits all the notes in the proper order - more music than noise.
                              Thanks. I think.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seer, 08-07-2016, 10:16 PM
                              79 responses
                              32,907 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post lee_merrill  
                              Working...
                              X