Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

They Can't Hear the Orchestra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Can't Hear the Orchestra

So, I got the chance to preach yesterday, the first time since becoming an elder in my church. This is what I prepared (through some technical difficulties, I wasn't able to do the second video part, since the sound wasn't working, so I improvised a bit to get the same point across):

1st text:
    1 Corinthians 12:12-31:
    Main text:
    1 Corinthians 3 5-15:
    Message for Children:
    I’d like to show you a short little video I made 11 years ago, that has a boring name, but is also called “How to Park a Toy Car”

Did you like that? As you saw, the little ball at the start had all sorts of adventures and did all sorts of interesting things before it set another ball going, which started another little chain reaction, and another, then finally the big ball hit the wall that set off the toy car to park itself.
    That first ball didn’t see the end result, it just knew that it did its job well. Life can be like that, in that when we do something good for someone, it can seem like nothing has really changed, when in fact we’ve started a process that will end up causing something truly beautiful. So don’t give up and stop doing good things for people, because the good things you do, especially the things you do for God, are much more important than you realise.

Sermon for adults:
    Basically, if you remember the children’s message, you’ll get the main point of today’s sermon, but us adults tend to make things much more complicated than they need to be, and like things to be explained in more detail, so let’s try to do that.
    Deep down, all of us would like to make a difference in the world. Some of us have less ambitious goals than others, and many have given up on the idea, but ultimately we would like to think that we can make a little part of the world a better place than it would have been without us.
    Many of us look at our own efforts and the results from them, and get discouraged. We don’t see crowds of people getting saved in response to something we said, we don’t get people coming up to us to thank us for something we did for them that changed their life completely. Of course, it’s a very good habit to be sure to thank people that have helped you in small ways, it is a real encouragement to them to persevere with acts of kindness, especially when the person didn’t realise how much what they did helped you.
    But small acts of kindness can have much more impact than we realise. Someone who has just been shown a kindness, especially an unexpected one, is in a better mood and more likely to then show kindness to someone else themselves and less likely to be needlessly cruel, so our initial act is multiplied, echoing further and further, making more and more of a positive difference the wider the context we take in.
    This is multiplied again by the fact that humans are beings of habit. When we overcome our nerves and do something once, it is easier to do it again, and the more times we do it the easier it gets until it becomes second nature and we do it almost without thinking.
    The same can be said for speaking important, even painful truths. Openness breeds openness.
    Unfortunately, the same is true in the other direction. Cruelty breeds cruelty, deceit breeds deceit. So it is a great power that we have, a great responsibility, far more than we realize.
    So a kind act, a kind word, a small piece of the truth can help another soul along their journey to find God, but a soul’s journey does not end when it gives its life to Christ, it is only just beginning. As God’s children we have that foundation of Christ, and it’s time to build on that. We can help each other practically; we can study together, share our discoveries, offer warnings about dangerous paths, support each other through difficult times and encourage each other to build good habits and grow in character, becoming more and more citizens of heaven down here on earth. We are not all teachers, we are not all prophets or miracle workers, we don’t all have gifts of healing, we all have different skills, talents and opportunities, but what we do does not have to be spectacular to be worth doing, it can still change the world.
    Maybe you didn’t like the analogy from the children’s message. After all, you’re not an inanimate metal ball or block of plastic—you can think, you can choose, you can actively participate or fight against things, so here is a different one, a musical one, from the ending to the film Robots:

When Herb starts playing by himself, even though he is putting all of his heart and skill into it, it sounds awful, like he’s gone insane and is just making random noises. It’s only when the others realize what he is doing and start playing the other parts that it becomes obvious that he is actually playing beautiful, fun and joyful music.
    It can be like that with us. When we try as hard as we can to do what is right, serve God, and stand up for the truth, to the outside world we can look like a fool doing pointless random things, and sometimes the situation can get so bad that we start to see ourselves that way.
    But that’s because they can’t hear the orchestra. They don’t see the ripples of influence flowing out, the slow processes that have started, the grand context that will show the true beauty of what we’ve done.
    In summary, I’d like to share a poem I wrote back in January for people who saw all the scary currents in the world and were tempted to despair and shut themselves off from everyone else completely.

Perception

You might think you’re just a tiny speck within a raging storm,
    A thousand different voices screaming at you to conform,
    To give up hope, blaspheme your God, and join the vicious mob;
    Or stand aside, at least, and let them do their hatchet job.

Defeat is unavoidable, what difference can you make?
    What kind of fool would stand there when the dam’s about to break?
    Then time itself stands still and you are swept before the Throne,
    And He reveals you are in fact a vital cornerstone

To peoples you have yet to meet, besides the ones you know,
    Your influence, for good or bad, eternity will show.
    A thoughtful act can redirect a life that’s gone astray,
    Bring broken souls back from the brink, unfounded fears allay,

Give strength to those so weary from fighting the good fight,
    Grant the lame the grace to dance, give back the blind their sight,
    As they perceive the holy war that’s waging for their hearts,
    Step out from the audience and dare to play their part

In the thrilling drama that decides so many fates,
    And takes them in directions they cannot anticipate,
    Drawing others heavenwards with every step they take
    Along the narrow path, leaving blessings in their wake.

So don’t give up, you just can’t hear the rest of the orchestra yet.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns