Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Inspirational Christian Quotes:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G.K. Chesterton:

Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      G.K. Chesterton:

The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.
      Rippa. I've been trying to locate that quote for quite a while.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Theologians have been willing to go to great exegetical lengths to reconcile large portions of scripture with their understanding of God’s metaphysical attributes. Hence, any scripture that ascribed change or suffering to God was typically interpreted to depict God as he appears to us, not as he actually is.[1]

[1] Gregory A Boyd. The Crucifixion of the Warrior God: Interpreting the Old Testament’s Violent Portraits of God in the Light of the Cross Volumes 1&2 (sample). (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2017), KL 679-681

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Rippa. I've been trying to locate that quote for quite a while.
          It's from his What's Wrong with the World (bottom of the third paragraph of Part 1 Chapter V. "The Unfinished Temple").I've only read his Orthodoxy, and that was some time ago.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It's from his What's Wrong with the World (bottom of the third paragraph of Part 1 Chapter V. "The Unfinished Temple").I've only read his Orthodoxy, and that was some time ago.
            Not a bad read - I find this comment rather refreshing:
            History does not consist of completed and crumbling ruins; rather it consists of half-built villas abandoned by a bankrupt-builder.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

When Mary of Bethany anointed the Lord with her costly ointment, it was for Him and Him alone that she did it. However, the Scriptures tell us that the perfume filled the room, and all who were there were blessed and privileged to enjoy the lovely fragrance. So it is with any service done for the love, honor, and glory of Christ; it benefits all of God's people.-Joe Terrell

Comment

Did Jesus once upon me shine,Then Jesus is for ever mine.”-CH Spurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
                  Did Jesus once upon me shine,Then Jesus is for ever mine.”-CH Spurgeon
                  The "Prince of Preachers"

I always like this one

"…the best “apology” for the gospel is to let the gospel out. Never mind defending Deuteronomy or the whole of the Pentateuch. Preach Jesus Christ and him crucified. The Lion of the tribe of Judah will soon drive away all his adversaries."

Comment

Spurgeon is indeed good!

"He who communes with God is always at home."
                    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Dislike of dogma is an epidemic which is just now doing great harm, and specially among young people. It produces what I must venture to call a jellyfish Christianity in the land: that is, a Christianity without bone, or muscle, or power.-JC Ryle.

Comment

Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
                        Dislike of dogma is an epidemic which is just now doing great harm, and specially among young people. It produces what I must venture to call a jellyfish Christianity in the land: that is, a Christianity without bone, or muscle, or power.-JC Ryle.
                        "Only the other day I saw in an excellent weekly paper of Puritan tone this remark, that Christianity when stripped of its armour of dogma (as who should speak of a man stripped of his armour of bones)..." (Chesterton, Orthodoxy)

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Understand two thoughts, and fear them. One says, 'You are a saint,' the other, 'You won’t be saved.' Both of these thoughts are from the enemy, and there is no truth in them. But think this way: I am a great sinner, but the Lord is merciful. He loves people very much, and He will forgive my sins. --Silouan of Athos

Comment

"In every period of my ministerial life I have found many professed Christians in a miserable state of bondage, either to the world, the flesh, or the Devil. But surely this is no Christian state, for the apostle has distinctly said: 'Sin shall not have dominion over you, because ye are not under the law, but under grace.' In all my Christian life I have been pained to find so many Christians living in the legal bondage described in the seventh chapter of Romans -- a life of sinning, and resolving to reform and falling again. In my early Christian life I was very nearly misled by one of Jonathan Edwards’s resolutions, which was, in substance, that when he had fallen into any sin he would trace it back to its source, and then fight and pray against it with all his might until he subdued it. This, it will be perceived, is directing the attention to the overt act of sin, its source or occasions. Resolving and fighting against it fastens the attention on the sin and its source, and diverts it entirely from Christ."

"Now it is important to say right here that all such efforts are worse than useless, and not infrequently result in delusion. 'Love is the fulfilling of the law.' But do we produce love by resolution? Do we eradicate selfishness by resolution? No, indeed. We may suppress this or that expression or manifestation of selfishness by resolving not to do this or that, and praying and struggling against it, but the root that really constitutes sin is not touched. Our resolution has not secured love, which is the only real obedience to God. All our battling with desire by the force of resolution is of no avail; for in all this, however successful the effort to suppress sin may be, in the outward life or in the inward desire, it will only end in delusion, for by force of resolution we cannot love."

"Every victory over sin is by faith in Christ; and whenever the mind is diverted from Christ, by resolving and fighting against sin, whether we are aware of it or not, we are acting in our own strength, rejecting the help of Christ, and are under a specious delusion. Nothing but the life and energy of the Spirit of Christ within us can save us from sin, and trust is the uniform and universal condition of the working of this saving energy within us. Oh! that it could be understood that the whole of spiritual life that is in any man is received direct from the Spirit of Christ by faith, as the branch receives its life from the vine. Away with this effort to make the life holy while the heart has not in it the love of God. Oh! that men would learn to look directly at Christ and so close in with Him by an act of loving trust as to involve a universal sympathy with His state of mind. This, and this alone, is sanctification." (Charles Finney)

Comment

"I also always entreat you, and do not cease entreating you, not only to pay attention here to what I say, but also when you are at home, to persevere continually in reading the divine Scriptures".-John Chrysostom

Comment

"Be still, and know that I am God." It is the experience, I believe, of all those who have been most deeply conscious of His revelations of Himself, that they are made emphatically to the "waiting" soul -- the spirit which is most fully conscious of its own inability to do more than wait in silence before Him. (Caroline Stephen)

Comment