Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Inspirational Christian Quotes:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Allow me to give you a few practical words as to your prayers. Keep clear of the unprofitable habit of 'saying your prayers.'"

"Christendom is full of solemn warnings as to the tendency of our hearts to drop into a routine of religious forms. It is a very great loss to the soul to get into the habit of repeating substantially the same words in prayer every day. It is not prayer at all."

"We read, 'In everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.' How can you do that if you are using the same form of words day after day, and week after week? Today is not like yesterday, and tomorrow will not be like today. If you are really with God you will be sensitive to the fresh needs of every day."

"God delights to have our confidence as to every need and care. Then let us cultivate a child's confidence, and a child's simplicity as we come to him in prayer. Bring the trying circumstances of today, and the expected difficulties and perplexities of tomorrow to the blessed God who tells you to cast all your care upon Him, for He careth for you."

"Be simple: give up the long preface; do not feel it necessary to quote a dozen scriptures; ask as a needy and confiding child would ask its parent."

C.A. Coates
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Another from Spurgeon:

I wish that our ministry—that mine especially—might be tied and tethered to the cross. I would have no other subject to set before you but Jesus only.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Brennan Manning:

My deepest awareness of myself is that I am deeply loved by Jesus Christ and I have done nothing to earn it or deserve it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
          For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
          And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
          He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Matt 10:34-37 (KJV)
          When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
          - Anonymous

Comment

"But how can we control our thoughts? No more than we could blot out our sins, or create a world. What then are we to do?"

"We must look to Christ. That is the true secret of self-control. He can keep us not only from the lodgement, but also from the suggestion of evil thoughts. In our own strength we could no more prevent the one than the other. He can prevent both. He can keep the vile intruders, not only from getting in, but even from knocking at the door. When His divine life is our source of life, when the current of spiritual thought and feeling is deep and rapid--when the heart's affections are intensely occupied with the Person of Christ, vain thoughts do not trouble us. It is only when spiritual indolence creeps over us that evil thoughts and their vile and horrible progeny come in upon us like a flood; and then our only resource is to look straight to Jesus."

"The more excellent way is, to be preserved from the suggestions of evil, by the power of preoccupation with good. When the channel of thought is decidedly upward, when it is deep and well formed, free from all curves and indentations, then the current of imagination and feeling, as it gushes up from the deep fountains of the soul, will naturally flow onward in the bed of that channel."

"This, I repeat, is unquestionably the more excellent way. May we prove it in our own experience. When the heart is fully engrossed with Christ, the living embodiment of 'all that is true, all that is noble, all that is just, all that is pure, all that is lovely, all that is admirable', we enjoy profound peace, unruffled by evil thoughts."

"This is true self-control."

- C.H. Mackintosh (adapted)
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment