Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Baptizing a Felon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptizing a Felon

He was a mean man, full of hate. He was abusive to his wife, and in a drunken rage, attacked her with a knife. When the police showed up, he threatened them, and subsequently went to jail. That was 13 years ago.

Earlier this year he accepted Christ as his Savior. Not to make his "get out of jail" chances better - because he already had a "release date".

He began visiting our Church on Sunday Mornings, and last Sunday he put a note in the offering plate "I want to be baptized - I want to be accountable".

This week, we went to lunch, and he told me his story. In prison, he knew he was lost, and needed Jesus, and knelt by his cold steel bed, asking Christ to forgive him and save him.

He insisted that he wants the Church to know that he has been in prison, that his life is changed, and that he wants to be accountable to the men of our Church, to be discipled, and to learn how to lead men to Christ.

Upon his public profession of Christ as Lord, he will be baptized this Sunday ... "buried in his sins, raised again to newness of life in Christ Jesus".

Please pray for Brian.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Brian: "buried in his sins, raised again to newness of life in Christ Jesus". Amen.
      3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

You got it.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

That he makes his past known unto all is definitely a good indicator of commitment towards the Christ and His people. To display one's past transgressions on to all is hands down one of the hardest things to confess. Here's to hoping that he walk the noble walk.
          Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
          As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

While judgment and justice begin at the house of God, God’s mercy always overrides his justice. We pray for both Brian, your elders and congregation as they cooperate with God in bringing redemption into broken lives.

Comment

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

He was a lot bigger than I realized!

He's about 6'2", and probably close to 300 lbs.

ANYWAY, Baptism went great, and members of his family attended. Younger brother admitted a need to "get back in Church", and Dad said he was very proud, that he's seen major changes in Brian's attitude and outlook.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    He was a lot bigger than I realized!

He's about 6'2", and probably close to 300 lbs.

ANYWAY, Baptism went great, and members of his family attended. Younger brother admitted a need to "get back in Church", and Dad said he was very proud, that he's seen major changes in Brian's attitude and outlook.
                    Then he's just a bit bigger than I am.

ETA: Like OBP,

Comment

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Blessing and mercy to him! And the Lord's presence.
                        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

This guy is coming along fine --- really wants to be discipled, and we're working on that!

Comment

Now in his second year of Dallas Theological Seminary, and serving as associate pastor in a church nearby. A fellow pastor in that area is discipling him, and being his 'accountability partner'.

Comment