Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Prayer and Update Thread: For Mrs. H's Job Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayer and Update Thread: For Mrs. H's Job Search

Mrs H has asked me to post this thread requesting continued prayer for her job search.

She has a degree, 20 plus years of clerical/medical records experience, and super reference letters, including one from a leading official in the Florida prison system...in theory that should be a slam dunk, but with so many places using these "applicant tracking systems" even highly qualified people can end up with their resume in the wastebin.

For privacy I'll post news here in only a general sort of way.

So far we've put her in for 22 jobs in 2 weeks...with 1 phone interview so far.

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
      Mrs H has asked me to post this thread requesting continued prayer for her job search.

She has a degree, 20 plus years of clerical/medical records experience, and super reference letters, including one from a leading official in the Florida prison system...in theory that should be a slam dunk, but with so many places using these "applicant tracking systems" even highly qualified people can end up with their resume in the wastebin.

For privacy I'll post news here in only a general sort of way.

So far we've put her in for 22 jobs in 2 weeks...with 1 phone interview so far.
      What do you mean by applicant tracking systems? Taleo? And why does having a lot of experience not work with those?
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

You using USAJobs.gov too?
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              What do you mean by applicant tracking systems? Taleo? And why does having a lot of experience not work with those?
              Yes, Taleo is one such example. The reason they don't work is because of the principle, "garbage in, garbage out." The tracking systems rely on keywords to search resumes, and if the keyword selected is not there, you're discarded without a human being seeing your resume. The problem is that a) you have no idea what keywords they'll use and b) HR directors don't necessarily have the brains to know what the right keywords SHOULD be.

Part of the problem also is that too many people submit applications who ought to know better. I just got a report on one job we put her in for...it's basically exactly what she did in the prison system. But there were over 750 applicants, and over half only had a high school diploma, and only a handful had as many years of experience as she did in....something, no idea what. When idiots like that flood the process, it makes HR directors feel justified in using tracking systems.
              Last edited by jpholding; 07-15-2015, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                You using USAJobs.gov too?
                Yep. And since Mrs H has a disability we'll also be looking to use Schedule A.

Comment

Comment

Yes, Taleo is one such example. The reason they don't work is because of the principle, "garbage in, garbage out." The tracking systems rely on keywords to search resumes, and if the keyword selected is not there, you're discarded without a human being seeing your resume. The problem is that a) you have no idea what keywords they'll use and b) HR directors don't necessarily have the brains to know what the right keywords SHOULD be.

Part of the problem also is that too many people submit applications who ought to know better. I just got a report on one job we put her in for...it's basically exactly what she did in the prison system. But there were over 750 applicants, and over half only had a high school diploma, and only a handful had as many years of experience as she did in....something, no idea what. When idiots like that flood the process, it makes HR directors feel justified in using tracking systems.
                    But that's stupid! They ought to have a section where you have to impute your qualifications and anyone who can't enter something that is degree level shouldn't be able to proceed further.

Comment

Originally posted by ukchristian28 View Post
                      But that's stupid! They ought to have a section where you have to impute your qualifications and anyone who can't enter something that is degree level shouldn't be able to proceed further.
                      If they were bright they wouldn't be HR directors....

Did I say that out loud?
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by ukchristian28 View Post
                        The state of Florida website for government jobs does something like that. You have to answer certain questions like whether you have a certain degree or level of experience, and presumably a no in the wrong place gets you ranked lower. I've seen a handful of other websites do something similar, but not nearly enough of them.

Comment

Step in the right direction anyway. Mrs H got signed on with one of those staffing agencies. It's kind of like me getting an agent for a book: It narrows your field of competitors for certain jobs, and you may get a lot of work, or you may get zilch.

On the other hand, one day after applying for a job at a hospital that was EXACTLY what she did at the prison for 10+ years...they sent back an automated "we don't have a job for you" email. That's what an applicant tracking system will do for you!

Comment

Step in the right direction anyway. Mrs H got signed on with one of those staffing agencies. It's kind of like me getting an agent for a book: It narrows your field of competitors for certain jobs, and you may get a lot of work, or you may get zilch.

On the other hand, one day after applying for a job at a hospital that was EXACTLY what she did at the prison for 10+ years...they sent back an automated "we don't have a job for you" email. That's what an applicant tracking system will do for you!

Sigh...

Fight fire with fire. Redo the same resume with a lot of help from Google to include a different key word set. Do this several times. Send them independently. Yes, I'm saying apply multiple times for the same job.

It's their own fault for using a stupid system with an obvious workaround. If you select by keywords, it's perfectly fair for an applicant to tailor their resumes accordingly. If you're dumb enough to make it a blind test, don't be surprised to get five applications from the same person...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

How about mailing them a resume instead...maybe with her reference letters attached, like the one from the guy who heads medical for Florida DC?

Comment