Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Jim Awaiting Liver Transplant - Possibly Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

We will keep praying for a successful and speedy recovery.

Comment

Out of surgery and all went well - in recovery, and we shall see!!!!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

ing for no rejection

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

OK, so they had anticipated that they might "connect the liver", then maybe tomorrow go back in and connect the bile ducts (?) or other stuff that they might not be able to do today because of bleeding. Since his liver was not producing the clotting agents, they had lots of trouble with bleeding.

HOWEVER -- the doctors said they got the whole thing done today, no need to go back in, so... yes, Rogue, pray for his body not to reject the liver.

On a side note (i'm learning way more than I ever thought I'd learn about liver transplants) he won't be able to eat fresh fruit. Apparently, fruit contains critters that our immune systems handle without any trouble, but a suppressed immune system (so the liver won't be rejected) cannot handle the microorganisms (or critters?) in fresh fruit. WHO KNEW!!!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Who's going to be first to ask if bacon is a fruit?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                Who's going to be first to ask if bacon is a fruit?
                Well, the doctor specifically said he'll need proteins - beef, chicken.... he didn't SAY bacon, but.....

Comment

So, some of you know that Diane needed $9,300 to get things started where Jim could even be on the transplant list. She was raising money through gofundme. I've mentioned this elsewhere, I think, but I mentioned one Sunday (several months ago?) that there was this need, and it covered the insurance premium, some very expensive prescription co-pays, and some other stuff that needed to happen.

That same Sunday after Church, one of my members handed me a check for $10,000 and told me "I don't want her to know where this came from, but tell that dear lady to go ahead and get her husband taken care of."

That man called me just a while ago, rejoicing that we have the good news that we have, and reminding me that the money is anonymous.

That $10,000 could QUITE LITERALLY be the difference between Jim living and dying. Jim has been sick the whole time I've known him, but shortly before that, he was a healthy construction worker, active in his Church in Oklahoma.

I'm getting excited knowing that pretty soon, Jim will be able to walk into our Church for the first time ever, and meet the rest of his Church family.

Comment

Comment

About the fresh fruit
                      I never heard that before and it might just be during recovery

Here is a handbook on after liver transplant care and contains a section on nutrition.
                      It says eating fresh fruit is fine just to avoid certain ones that are too high in potassium or might interfere with certain antirejection drugs

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/pdf/liver_...ant_manual.pdf

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Comment

The doc was in this afternoon, and said "I like the numbers" - referring to the white cell count, and other metrics. So far, so good!

Comment

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Wow - just visited Jim this morning and he looks great! He's talking, alert - his eyes are not yellow anymore, his skin is much more healthy looking.... His doctor said "out 100 liver transplants, Jim would rate in the top 5% related to recovery!"

God is good, and Jim is getting stronger. When I asked if I could pray with him, he said, "not here, take me with you and we'll pray at Church". He has been kidding like that a lot.

Comment