Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Jim Awaiting Liver Transplant - Possibly Tonight

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jim Awaiting Liver Transplant - Possibly Tonight

    Some of this is repeat for some of you, but...

    The couple our Church "adopted", and for whom we've been helping finish building their home.... Jim had fallen and broke some ribs last year, then fell critically ill. They discovered he had Hepatitis C, apparently from a blood transfusion when he was young. He was violently ill, and in need of a liver transplant, but he was not well enough to survive the surgery.

    There has been remarkable progress, and he is now on permanent (for now) dialysis, has moved to the top of the list to receive a liver, and we are now waiting for a donor. The surgery team is prepared any minute - possibly even tonight.

    Now, I know this is crazy - in order for Jim to get a liver, somebody else must die. I CERTAINLY don't wish that on anybody, and it feels weird that to pray for Jim to get a liver tonight, means... well, you know.

    I've never been in this position before - not wanting somebody else to die, but knowing Jim won't get a liver unless that happens.

    Here's where I pray "God, I leave this in your hands - I don't pretend to be so smart as to know the answer, or to advise you, but... please?"

    Meanwhile, Jim is prepped for surgery, waiting.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  • #2
    By the way, the reason he's on dialysis is because the kidneys were trying to do some of the jobs the liver has been incapable of doing, and were struggling. His brain was filling with toxins, and his blood needed to be cleansed. (Somebody with more medical knowledge can explain this better, perhaps)
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

    Comment


    • #3
      3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

      Comment


      • #4

        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


        "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

        My Personal Blog

        My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

        Comment


        • #5

          I'm always still in trouble again

          "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

          Comment


          • #6
            CP does this mean he needs a full liver or does he only need 2/3's of a liver. A liver can come from a healthy living donor due to the fact that the liver is capable of regenerating itself completely.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              CP does this mean he needs a full liver or does he only need 2/3's of a liver. A liver can come from a healthy living donor due to the fact that the liver is capable of regenerating itself completely.
              what she said.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, is there anyone willing to risk their life by giving him part of their liver? Wait, that makes it sound bad...
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Yes, is there anyone willing to risk their life by giving him part of their liver? Wait, that makes it sound bad...
                  There is risk involved to a live donor but since it is a matter of consent, it isn't 'bad'.

                  I'm a little confused by CP's post - that he's being prepped indicates a donor has been found but CP seemed to be saying otherwise.


                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


                  "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                  My Personal Blog

                  My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i would say he needs a whole liver or the partial would just get the hep c

                    cp you dont have to pray someone else dies. people die every day, just pray that one of them is a donor that matches his blood type.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      i would say he needs a whole liver or the partial would just get the hep c

                      cp you dont have to pray someone else dies. people die every day, just pray that one of them is a donor that matches his blood type.
                      What happens if a live donor gives part of their liver is that the one liver regenerates into two separate livers, one for each person. For example, Alice gives part of her liver to Bob. Bob's old liver is taken out completely and part of Alice's liver(part b) is put in. Alice's remaining portion of her liver regenerates itself and the part given to Bob also regenerates. Bob's old liver goes into the biohazard waste bin or wherever they dispose it.
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Um, yeah, Sparky. CBW is correct. The recipient liver is completely removed even if a partial is all that is donated. Both recipient and donor can then develop complete livers - because the liver can restore itself unlike other organs (excepting maybe skin). The transplant is not a cure - but the healthy liver takes a very long time to damage and with good care, that can be minimized.

                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


                        "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                        My Personal Blog

                        My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I've never been in this position before - not wanting somebody else to die, but knowing Jim won't get a liver unless that happens.

                          Here's where I pray "God, I leave this in your hands - I don't pretend to be so smart as to know the answer, or to advise you, but... please?"
                          I don't think that's the right way to look at it, CP. An American dies every 13 seconds, says here. The real question is if they pass with a healthy liver that can be donated, and whether they've chosen to become an organ donor.

                          There's no need to pray for someone's death. Pray they chose to be generous while they were still alive.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                            I don't think that's the right way to look at it, CP. An American dies every 13 seconds, says here. The real question is if they pass with a healthy liver that can be donated, and whether they've chosen to become an organ donor.

                            There's no need to pray for someone's death. Pray they chose to be generous while they were still alive.
                            Thanks, Jesse.
                            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                              CP does this mean he needs a full liver or does he only need 2/3's of a liver. A liver can come from a healthy living donor due to the fact that the liver is capable of regenerating itself completely.
                              I'm pretty sure he needs a full liver - I had asked about that, but there was a lot going on.
                              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by DesertBerean, 11-14-2020, 03:21 PM
                              1 response
                              29 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post DesertBerean  
                              Started by TheWall, 11-03-2020, 11:05 PM
                              2 responses
                              25 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post DesertBerean  
                              Working...
                              X