Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

HB 3567 - Clergy Protection Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Wow CP I didn't know that you pastors were "public servants" - since when did the government start sending you all a pay check?
    To be fair, I think that was referring to persons who may be, for example, a Justice of the Peace or Mayor or other civil servant in addition to being a Pastor. The ACLU was trying to introduce language that would limit the Pastor's religious liberty to his "ministerial position", and not to any other civil or government positions he may hold. The problem with that is that the Pastor does not abandon his "sincerely held religious beliefs" simply because he "changes hats".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There are quite a number of businesses that have united against Religious Liberty, claiming it's bad for business....

http://www.texasobserver.org/major-t...r-lgbt-rights/

We are fighting "big money", but God owns the cattle on a thousand hills.....

On a conference call right now with Lt Governor Dan Patrick, and a number of Pastors from all over Texas. The Senate version is passed and "good", the House version of the Pastor Protection bill MAY still be voted on tonight, but we're not out of the woods yet.

What we have heard from some of our Senate sponsors who have been in the Senate for over 12 years - they have NEVER seen so many pastors show up on one day, and it really sent ripples through the system. When you come to the Capitol, you need to have one of two things --- money, or votes -- and the legislature fully understand that Pastors represent passionate voters.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, some more insight.....

There's a particular Texas Democrat who happens to be on the more conservative end of the spectrum, and has often considered the notion of switching parties, but still caucuses with the Democrats. He also happens to be a Christian. Earlier this week, one of our Pastors stopped by his office (I was just down the hall, I wish I would have known about this at the time) to talk to him, and our Pastor friend asked "can I pray with you?". These guys got down on their knees at the couch in the lobby of this Democrat's office, and prayed together for over 30 minutes.

Then they sat down and had a very interesting conversation. The Dem explained, "I've been here quite a long time - and I've heard you preachers come and go and bellow about issues and wag your fingers and scold us, and threaten to take us to task --- but I have never seen so many Pastors descend on The Hill, and stay, and visit so many Representatives and Senators, and encourage their congregations to flood our phones with calls, and fill our mailboxes with mail, and do it so persistently. It has changed this place. It has changed me.

He pointed out that the opposition actually has offices on campus, and they are there working 24/7 all year long (even though "the session" is only 4 months every other year) - they have full time lobbyists representing the GLBTQ, abortion, ACLU, and "Religious Right Watch". He said, "you guys are not - or WERE not - ever organized, and you would come here and bark at us and disappear. This was different. This was almost scary.

He also pointed out that, when a Pastor shows up and spends the day, they don't have a clue whether he represents a congregation of 20, 200, 2,000 or 20,000. Dr Ed Young, for instance, did not show up the last few weeks, but some of his Pastors did. First Baptist Dallas, and First Baptist Houston had staff there. It is well known that these "religious conservatives" are fired up, and WILL vote.

From that report, and other things this Democrat said which won't be made public (for now), our group - Texas Pastor Council - will increase our efforts to be better organized for next session. We have about 18 months to get organized before the next Session of Texas Legislature. We will have "Christian Life Commission" chapters in many of our Churches, and we will try to have county or area chapters of Texas Pastor Council all over Texas.

We got a late start in this Session, and got a LOT done, and made an impact. Even the local ACLU lawyer lady was stunned.

And I want to get into that!

Comment

Maybe they are finally realizing that it is dangerous to poke a stick in a hornet's nest.

Comment

Maybe they are finally realizing that it is dangerous to poke a stick in a hornet's nest.
            I think Mayor Parker's overreach with the subpoenas to Pastors was probably the best thing that has happened to Texas Christians in a long time. It was - to use the old cliche - a wakeup call.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              SThese guys got down on their knees at the couch in the lobby of this Democrat's office, and prayed together for over 30 minutes.
              This part, in particular, impressed me -- a Representative's office at the Capital is like Grand Central Station -- people coming in and going out, stopping by to ask for support for a bill, or to scold the Representative..... while they were praying, according to his staff, some people would burst through the door, see them on their knees, and then just quietly back out.... others would stand there for a moment with their heads bowed, then leave....

I have to wonder how many of "the enemy" () stopped by only to see him on his knees with a Pastor. There is power, not just in payer, but in seeing people praying.

Comment

This part, in particular, impressed me -- a Representative's office at the Capital is like Grand Central Station -- people coming in and going out, stopping by to ask for support for a bill, or to scold the Representative..... while they were praying, according to his staff, some people would burst through the door, see them on their knees, and then just quietly back out.... others would stand there for a moment with their heads bowed, then leave....

I have to wonder how many of "the enemy" () stopped by only to see him on his knees with a Pastor. There is power, not just in payer, but in seeing people praying.
                Amen. And in showing that faith goes beyond political lines.

Comment

Well, session ended at Midnight last night, and HB3567 (the House version) was not brought up for a vote - possibly stalling tactics, but it died in the House.

HOWEVER, the Senate version, with identical language, is alive and well, and will likely be voted out of the House State Affairs committee today. Then it will be voted on by the complete house (after going through Calendar Committee) and if passed would go straight to the Governor for signing. Governor Abbott has already said he'd sign.

For those of you who live in Texas, it would help if you would call or email your State Representative (I can help you figure out who that is, in case you don't know). Ask him or her to stand FOR religious liberty and vote FOR SB2065 WITHOUT AMENDMENT.

Comment

Well, session ended at Midnight last night, and HB3567 (the House version) was not brought up for a vote - possibly stalling tactics, but it died in the House.

HOWEVER, the Senate version, with identical language, is alive and well, and will likely be voted out of the House State Affairs committee today. Then it will be voted on by the complete house (after going through Calendar Committee) and if passed would go straight to the Governor for signing. Governor Abbott has already said he'd sign.

For those of you who live in Texas, it would help if you would call or email your State Representative (I can help you figure out who that is, in case you don't know). Ask him or her to stand FOR religious liberty and vote FOR SB2065 WITHOUT AMENDMENT.
                    Just emailed my State Rep urging him to vote "For"!
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

The moral is that direct attacks will still fail.

Comment