Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

HB 3567 - Clergy Protection Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

I bet the Presbyterian Pastors were from PCUSA my old denomination. our congregation voted to disassociate ourselves from PCUSA.
    The Lutheran congregation with whom we share our building disassociated themselves from their synod, whatever that was, and formed a new congregation because of the liberal drift of their previous synod. They are great people to know - they believe the BIBLE!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Again, this is NOT the DEBATE thread - that's in Civics. But here's a (pleasantly) surprising update....

Lt. Governor Dan Patrick has fast-tracked this, suspending the rules to allow introduction of a Companion Bill (SB2065) to HB3567 in the Senate. Because the Senate version is virtually the same as the House version, if the Senate version passes out of the Senate, both bills do not have to go for a reconciliation, but can go straight to Governor Abbott for his signature into law. (HB3567 passed the House Monday 8-1)

I have been called to testify on behalf of our Church and our Area Association of Churches, of which I am President. The hearing is quite short notice - tomorrow morning at 9 AM before the Senate State Affairs Committee - so we probably won't have nearly as many Pastors there as we did for the House hearing.

It's entirely possible this bill could become law this week or next week. (Texas Legislature only meets every other year, and this year's session will be done in about 5 weeks)

Your prayers are appreciated.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

It is nice to see someone taking an active role in this! Good luck CP. Prayers are with you.

Comment

Thanks. I met with several Pastors at the Capitol Grill this morning for breakfast... the sentiment is pretty common - "they tried to intimidate us and they just made us mad".

Comment

OK, due to a procedural challenge by a San Antonio representative, the Senate Bill got pulled, so no hearing today. Possibly back on Monday. (I won't be there, but I signed in on the bill, and spoke to representatives and senators)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                OK, due to a procedural challenge by a San Antonio representative...
                AKA a stalling technique, right?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  AKA a stalling technique, right?
                  Yes, but to be fair, the conservatives are using every political tool to get this fast-tracked (Lt Gov Dan Patrick suspending the rules, etc) and the liberals are using every political tool to stop it. As far as I can tell, the bill will be presented and heard on Monday. I think the liberals are just trying to buy time to rally troops against it.

Comment

The bill was, indeed, heard on Monday Morning, and I got to testify for it, along with a number of other Texas Pastors. It seemed to be received well, and after lunch, it was passed out of the senate committee.

As far as I can tell, it will be debated in the full senate this Friday - 5/8/2015. The only "hostile" questioning we got from any of the senators was from a man who just happened to be very close personal friends with Houston's Mayor Parker. He tried to turn it into a "you guys were against blacks and whites being married, so my father, who was black, never would have been allowed to marry my mother, who was white, in your Churches". He was trying to say that this bill could be perceived as using a biblical basis as a reason to discriminate against gays and lesbians. Anyway, I think we can put him down as a "no" vote, but the rest of the Senate committee seemed quite accepting of the bill.

Comment

SB2065 (The Senate version of HB3567) is being debated on the Floor of the Texas Senate right now.

Comment

Did you know you were "unleashing defamatory hate", CP?

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelangelo-signorile/why-tim-cook-should-threa_b_7273064.html

Already, the "Pastor Protection Act" passed the Senate. After a group of pastors came before legislators last week and unleashed defamatory rhetoric -- one feared being forced to officiate over the weddings of pedophiles while another ranted that he was afraid he'd have to marry people "to animals" -- GOP Sen. Craig Estes, chief sponsor of the bill, dropped compromise language to which the American Civil Liberties Union and others had agreed. Activists now fear the bill, if it becomes law, will allow an ordained clergy member who happens to also be employed in a civil job as a county clerk or justice of the peace to refuse to perform a marriage that "violates a sincerely held religious belief," even in his or her role as a public servant.

© Copyright Original Source

And pardon the disgusting articles at the bottom of the page
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Did you know you were "unleashing defamatory hate", CP?
                          Funny you should mention that! I just had breakfast this morning with Dave Welch (one of the "Houston Five", and instigator of a lot of this support for the Pastor Protection bill) and I told him I Googled him last night just for grins. I told him, "Dave, I had no idea you were such a hate-filled angry monster!" He said, "yeah, my kids get a kick out of needling me about what a hater I am".

We were laughing about the fact that the ONLY "angry" testimony at the House Hearing came from a young lesbian woman who was ranting about how hateful we were, and she was the only one in the entire testimony period who was angry and hateful. We need more people like her on "their side".

Comment

Wow CP I didn't know that you pastors were "public servants" - since when did the government start sending you all a pay check?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Wow CP I didn't know that you pastors were "public servants" - since when did the government start sending you all a pay check?
                              I'd guess we'd have to be slaves, since slaves don't get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                I'd guess we'd have to be slaves, since slaves don't get paid.

It is articles like that in the huffington post that show that we do need bills like the Pastor Protection Act. Idiots like that think that Pastors are public servants who have no 1st Amendment rights.

Comment