Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Do it Again, Lord, PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do it Again, Lord, PLEASE

Twice, I have witnessed honest-to-goodness Holy Ghost Revival in my life. I want to see it one last time before I die.

Seriously - I'm not talking about "Revival Meetings", or emotional roller coasters, but significant change in a whole congregation where God's people get right with God's people, and God's people get right with God. In both cases - one in 1971-72, and one in 1999-2001, a small group of people became interested in being the Church God wanted them to be, and a "growth" toward Revival began to swell, then "crest", then continue to last for two years or so. During those times, people came to Christ and were baptized, but the real mark of Revival was that many Christians fell in love with Jesus all over again, and got excited about serving Him.

In the first Revival, I was pretty much an observer, then a participant. In the second one, having experienced and been impacted by the first one, I was sharing this information and experience with the congregation, and a number of them said, "we want that, too". It took another two years, lots of prayer, preparation and even one "church discipline" where we "withdrew fellowship" from a troublesome woman - then the Holy Spirit moved in a might way, and Revival came. And lasted for over two years.

I hear all kinds of gloom and doom about "Post Christian America", but I'm just dumb enough to believe that God is still in the Revival business. The Church where I have been Pastoring the last almost three years seems to have the same yearning to be the Church God wants them to be. They are interested in giving, in Missions, in outreach, in "doing" rather than just hearing. It may take a few years, I don't know, but I am praying, "Lord, do it again, PLEASE".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I hear all kinds of gloom and doom about "Post Christian America", but I'm just dumb enough to believe that God is still in the Revival business.
    I think when Christianity has fallen out of "favor", it's an opportunity for the church. It's easier to play church when Christianity is popular.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I think when Christianity has fallen out of "favor", it's an opportunity for the church. It's easier to play church when Christianity is popular.
      The worst I have ever experience has been superior glances. Worse may be coming.

CP, I suspect we are entering a "Post Christian" era, but just as has happened other places, God continues to work in the hearts of His people.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        The worst I have ever experience has been superior glances. Worse may be coming.

CP, I suspect we are entering a "Post Christian" era, but just as has happened other places, God continues to work in the hearts of His people.
        We are VERY encouraged from stories told to us by our missionaries in China and North Korea.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

North Korea. How dangerous is it for missionaries?
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            it will be right up there on the danger scale
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

North Korea much worse than China. Neither is terribly safe.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                North Korea much worse than China. Neither is terribly safe.
                or Aceh (the Church I wet to when living in Hamilton (NZ) sponsored missionaries in Aceh and China, even an underground bible college in China)
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Probably second to ISIS controlled areas.

Comment

What the North Korean missionaries do is important and most of it needs to stay quiet for their own safety.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment