Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Got my acceptance letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my acceptance letter

As some of you may know, I received my bachelor degree in December 2013 and since have been dealing with personal issues that have gotten in the way of starting a master's degree over the past year.

I'm pleased to report that as of today I've been accepted into Truett Seminary at my alma mater for a master's in theological studies.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Congratulations!
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Congratulations!
        Does your wife know you're using her pom poms?

Comment

Congratulations!
          3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Congrats!
              -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
              Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
              Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                Does your wife know you're using her pom poms?

Given that she shouldn't be jumping at the moment, she probably put him up to it.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Given that she shouldn't be jumping at the moment, she probably put him up to it.

Comment

Updates: today was the first day of preview for seminary. Tomorrow I'm supposed to attend a class on reformation theology in addition to all sorts of other things like the faculty and student talks. Also they now have a dual degree with the law school so that's interesting.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                        Tomorrow I'm supposed to attend a class on reformation theology
                        Synopsis: It's wrong.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Synopsis: It's wrong.
                          Haha well it was basically a history class.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

Today has been a really busy day!!

Updates updates. Well, Truett really went all out for us at preview. I stayed a nice hotel in my own room and this morning had delicious breakfast at the seminary. They talked to us about the degree programs and their dual degree options.

I went to Texts and Traditions II at 9:30 with Dr. Brian Brewer. There were three real classes or three mock classes to choose from and I went with a real class so it was a little weird walking into a class halfway through their semester, but he was great! We talked about the origins of Pietism and Spener and it was very very enjoyable. At eleven I had faculty dialogue with Dr. William Hulitt Gloer and he gave each of us his card. From both the class and the talk with Dr. Gloer I really got the feel that all the professors really care about the seminary students and are really invested in their lives and their walks with God. He told us to contact him with any questions. Then we had a lunch and I got to sit with the new dean of the seminary, Dr. Todd Still, who was just great. They introduced their whole full time seminary staff including the illustrious Dr. Roger Olson oooh. After lunch was they talked about some things unique to Truett in the morning, mainly mentoring and spiritual formation. The M.Div at Truett requires what is essentially a ministry internship and they will place you pretty much any where you feel called in the world. I'm also excited about the spiritual formation they participate in. I'm going to be in a covenant group which is basically a small group where we will practice spiritual discipline and discipleship. The speaker they had talked about one covenant group class she took where they actually went for a week to a Benedictine monastery. I'm really excited that Truett places pretty much equal emphasis on academic rigor and spiritual walk.

Then there was the student panel where they answered general questions about life in seminary, and then the talk about costs and financial aid. It was actually one of the more encouraging financial aid talks I've seen. Seminary is definitely one of the more affordable school types out there. After snacks, they loaded us up and we took a tour of the town and the school, which of course I've already seen before since I went to undergrad there, but they gave us free Dr Pepper Floats at the Dr Pepper museum so that's why I went. I also got to meet some students from an Assemblies of God school who are looking at Truett and I finally got to talk to someone in real life about philosophy of religion and scholars in philosophy and theology and history. I was really encouraged by the people I saw there who have a passion for real theology and getting real theology to people. I took a few of them to the library to check it out while some optional stuff was going on and we actually went into the philosophy department for a bit.

Dinner was at a restaurant on the river. It was delicious and gorgeous and I talked to more great students. My only meh is about the preaching class I have to take, but it didn't sound too bad. According to the students, the professors are really great. It's a Baptist school but they really emphasized that it's very ecumenical and they will present various orthodox Christian perspectives without forcing any one on you.

I'm just so excited.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

I really hope you're dealing with a different Roger Olson than I'm thinking of. Not sure how common that name is. The one I'm talking about used to be on TWeb, and on the TWeb facebook group.

Comment