Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Merci for Mercy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merci for Mercy

Sunday around noon as I was returning home from work the lower right side of my back started hurting. I could hardly wait until I got home so I could do some stretching or at the least stop sitting down. When I got home and started rubbing my back the muscles there (either the erector spinae muscle or the serratus anterior muscles) they were as stiff as a sheet of steel. No amount of stretching seemed to help so I took a few aspirin.

A little later I checked in with Tweb and found that sitting wasn't so bad so I started reading some posts. About 5 minutes in I crossed my legs placing my right ankle on my left leg and that's when it happened. A sharp, agonizing pain centered in the lower spine.

The pain was horrific and steady. I immediately stood up and found that I could not stand completely upright. I furiously massaged the area with my knuckles (allows for a deeper penetration than finger tips), stretched, twisted, laid down... everything I could think of to gain some relief. Nothing helped.

After about 45 minutes of constantly moving around (the pain was so bad that I couldn't remain still I kept trying anything that would grant many any relief) I carefully went upstairs and got one of the oxycontin that was leftover from when my mother was being treated for cancer and prior to their putting her on a patch.

While it eventually made me somewhat drowsy it didn't help at all with the pain. The only thing that was any help was a heating pad which allowed the stiff muscles around the site to ease up just a little. As I laid on my stomach I gingerly probed my spine and discovered that one of the vertebrae right at where the lumbar and thoracic regions are was protruding slightly. As I continued my probing I found that the center of pain was located at the right bottom portion of the side of this vertebrae.

Great. It appeared that I had a severe misalignment, a slipped disc or something similar. I called work and informed them that I wouldn't be in later that night (another double shift night) and didn't know when I would be back in.

I went upstairs to bed but could not get comfortable any more there than I was downstairs. I was constantly moaning and groaning out loud in pain. After a half hour I got the heating pad which again helped a wee bit but I'm aware of the dangers of sleeping on a heating pad -- not that I could sleep hurting like this.

Finally I removed the pillow so I could lay perfectly flat with my feet overhanging the bed so that the legs could be perfectly straight rather than twisted. I put the heating pad on low on top of my back and laid there still in severe pain.

I started praying in earnest to God for help. I literally was begging for some mercy. Those were the words that I was using -- "Please God I'm begging for mercy." When I was done I was still in great pain.

But then the next thing I know I was waking up. Despite the pain I had managed to fall asleep for an hour and a half. More importantly my back wasn't hurting. Not even a little.

I got up because I had to use the bathroom (the reason I woke up) and noticed while sitting down it was still pretty sore but not quite as bad as it was on the drive home.

I went back to bed and laid back down on my stomach but removed the heating pad. I slept for most of the day.

Now there is no trace of any pain. Everything feels great. There is no protrusion of the vertebrae any longer. No stiff muscles. Anything. In fact the left side of my back is stiffer than the right side.

Thank you God. Thank you for granting the mercy that I needed.

Like the one leper who thanked Jesus for curing him I think that it is important to express my gratitude and moreover to do so publicly.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

God is good!
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

All the time!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

AWL the tam!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My back is still doing fine although I told work that I wouldn't be in tomorrow overnight. The work is physical on these shifts and I don't want to take the chance until I can be sure it is completely healed and not prone to re-injury though I really need the money.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I was just wondering how you were doing.

Thanks!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I was just wondering how you were doing.

Thanks!
              In some ways I feel bad like I'm not completely trusting this gift from God (by staying home) but in other ways I don't think that I should test/tempt it.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                In some ways I feel bad like I'm not completely trusting this gift from God (by staying home) but in other ways I don't think that I should test/tempt it.
                It's perfectly reasonable to allow our bodies time to heal - one of the mechanisms God provides for our healing is rest / sleep.

Comment

You remind me of an old expression I often cite... I forget who originally said it, but you know how that goes....

"pray like it all depends on God - work like it all depends on you". In your situation, just replace "work" with "rest".

ETA: Saint Augustine.

Comment

Shouldn't you see a doctor? Just because the pain went away doesn't mean there isn't an underlying problem.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I'm with DE. Doctors are sometimes God's agents and you aren't showing lack of faith or gratitude by waiting in their office.

Comment

And why not see a doctor?
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

No real reason not to see a doctor except financial and the fact that for the most part there really isn't a whole lot they can do.

Comment

I seldom go to doctors. Not because of any "faith" or religious issue, but because it so often seems such a waste of time.

"Well, CP, I don't really find anything wrong, except that you're out of shape, getting old, and overweight. Please pay the receptionist on the way out".

(a tad bit facetious, but I actually had a doctor tell me pretty much that same thing when I had a serious "crick" in my back. I subsequently went to a chiropractor out of desperation, and she made it worse. Out of FURTHER desperation, I went to another guy who was highly recommended by a friend, and that guy "popped my back" in such a way that it was almost like a biblical healing. SERIOUSLY. I could barely walk in there all bent over, but stood straight up when he was finished, with only minor residual pain. By the time I got to my truck, I was totally pain free.)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I seldom go to doctors. Not because of any "faith" or religious issue, but because it so often seems such a waste of time.

"Well, CP, I don't really find anything wrong, except that you're out of shape, getting old, and overweight. Please pay the receptionist on the way out".

(a tad bit facetious, but I actually had a doctor tell me pretty much that same thing when I had a serious "crick" in my back. I subsequently went to a chiropractor out of desperation, and she made it worse. Out of FURTHER desperation, I went to another guy who was highly recommended by a friend, and that guy "popped my back" in such a way that it was almost like a biblical healing. SERIOUSLY. I could barely walk in there all bent over, but stood straight up when he was finished, with only minor residual pain. By the time I got to my truck, I was totally pain free.)
                              Witch Doctors!!!
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment