Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Losing My Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Praying for you, Teal.
    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
    -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Thanks, everyone.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Something much better may indeed turn up, even if you don't recognize that.
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Oh, sweetie. Keep your eyes above the hurdles to that One Who has His hand in all things. He is still on His throne. He is still in charge.

Praying.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry Teal.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Thanks, everyone.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Hay, we love you. You are family.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Teallaura, I know how you feel. There's a really neat quote I recently came across that's really helped me to maintain perspective. It almost sounds a little harsh at first, but it conveys a deep truth about God and His care for us, and I've found it comforting during the toughest times. Perhaps it'll help you too.

"For some reason, we think of doubt and worry as 'small' sins. But when a Christian displays unbelief...or an inability to cope with life, he is saying to the world, 'My God cannot be trusted,' and that kind of disrespect makes one guilty of a fundamental error, the heinous sin of dishonoring God. That is no small sin."

-- Pastor John MacArthur

My point is that God most definitely can be trusted. Please read through Matthew 6:25-34. Though we do need to act, and seek for provisions, God know all our needs, and is on the throne. His care may not always come as soon as we'd like, but His timing is always perfect, and ours is not.

I'll definitely pray for you.
                  Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? (1 Corinthians 1:20)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Black View Post
                    Teallaura, I know how you feel. There's a really neat quote I recently came across that's really helped me to maintain perspective. It almost sounds a little harsh at first, but it conveys a deep truth about God and His care for us, and I've found it comforting during the toughest times. Perhaps it'll help you too.

"For some reason, we think of doubt and worry as 'small' sins. But when a Christian displays unbelief...or an inability to cope with life, he is saying to the world, 'My God cannot be trusted,' and that kind of disrespect makes one guilty of a fundamental error, the heinous sin of dishonoring God. That is no small sin."

-- Pastor John MacArthur

My point is that God most definitely can be trusted. Please read through Matthew 6:25-34. Though we do need to act, and seek for provisions, God know all our needs, and is on the throne. His care may not always come as soon as we'd like, but His timing is always perfect, and ours is not.

I'll definitely pray for you.
                    Yeah!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Wow Laura. That's terrible. I know the feeling. Are you open to relocating?
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Black View Post

-- Pastor John MacArthur.
                        I think we need to be honest and real. Many people will be repelled by an appearance of self-induced brainwashing or a marked inability to express raw emotions during difficult times. Believers should be free to express the full-spectrum of human emotions to others and even to God Himself. The Psalms point us in this direction, for example:

Psalm 88 (vv. 1-2, 4-8, 14):

“O LORD, God of my salvation, when, at night, I cry out in your presence,
                        let my prayer come before you; incline your ear to my cry.
                        … I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;
                        I am like those who have no help,
                        like those forsaken among the dead,
                        like the slain that lie in the grave,
                        like those whom you remember no more, for they are cut off from your hand.
                        You have put me in the depths of the Pit,
                        in the regions dark and deep.
                        Your wrath lies heavy upon me,
                        and you overwhelm me with all your waves.
                        You have caused my companions to shun me;
                        you have made me a thing of horror to them.
                        … O LORD, why do you cast me off?

Why do you hide your face from me?”

Of course it certainly doesn't end on a bleak note, and we should definitely share the hope we have in Christ, but my goodness, let them see that we are still human.
                        Last edited by Scrawly; 09-26-2014, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I don't think MacArthur or Mr. B are saying that we are not human and don't have human emotions and reactions. And it certainly probably doesn't pertain in Laura's situation anyway. BecUse I know Laura has a deep faith and joy in spite of her circumstances.

I have also listened to MacArthur for decades, and his stance is always on CONTINUALLY being in a state of doubt or fear or sin. Especially sin.

The truth is that the world looks at us with misunderstanding eyes anyway. The real us is the initial reaction to circumstances and then that turning to the Lord for His peace and joy.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I talked to my pastor yesterday - I just needed to talk. He was very supportive.

It's not an officially done deal yet but I don't have a lot of hope here. I'm still working at the moment and have a hearing-like thing on October 8. I've contacted my union rep (hey, the perks card is pretty good!) and my own attorney. I'm still stunned - I've improved so much that I didn't expect this at all.

I'm putting in applications now. No sense waiting.

I don't have a good idea of what to do yet. I don't know what to expect or what to prepare - but I'm not worrying (starting to plan, yes; worry no).

I have some negative feelings of course but I'm not mad at God. I promised to follow Him, not the other way around. He never promised the road wouldn't have a few nasty bumps - the opposite, actually. Maybe He's got something better up ahead - maybe it's a growth thing or maybe Satan is being a jerk - whatever, He's God, I'm not and I'm good with that.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Amen, sis!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                Wow Laura. That's terrible. I know the feeling. Are you open to relocating?
                                Yeah, but I really don't want to. I finally have a church home that's really home, you know?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment