Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today

I hate doing this. I'm not trying to draw attention or sympathy but I wish to swallow my pride just enough to ask for prayer on my behalf.

Today at 10:15, my brother called to inform me that our Great-Uncle Ray passed away in uncertain circumstances last night. Naturally this was enough to bring me to my knees. Uncle Ray was a strong figure in my life and while I haven't seen him since the funeral of my uncle Claude nearly three years ago, I loved him dearly. I am devastated by the loss.

Then about 45 minutes later I received written notice that I was being sued by the anesthesiologist that helped with my emergency hand surgery last October. I was unable to afford paying the bill and tried to set up payment plans that would suit my budget as I am a student and unemployed, but we couldn't agree on a reasonable figure. Now the firm pushing the suit is telling me that in order to keep this out of the courts I would have to pay 118.60 per month starting with this month. I informed the firm that I would pay what I could but that amount was unreasonable. I was told that while they would accept any payment I made, I couldn't keep this out of the courts unless I payed the desired amount.

For some reason, God saw fit to put this trial on my path when I'm a little over a week from moving to start at the new university to what I had hoped would be a happier chapter of my life. Unfortunately all I see now is black. It may sound cheesy considering the news of Robin Williams, but suicide has begun to creep into my thoughts. I would appreciate any prayers that I might be worthy to.
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

My mom says you need to try and find a lawyer to talk to. She seems to think that as long as you are making any kind of payment that they can't do this.

Comment

How much do you owe? A lawsuit is not cheap and I doubt they would go after you for any sort of small amount. It may just be scare tactics. Even if you were sued and they won, they can't bleed a turnip. If you don't have the money now, you wouldn't have it then either, and all they would have is a judgment against you, like a lien. They can't do anything to force you to pay. And if they try to garnish your wages, the courts will only allow a small percentage of that, which is what you are willing to pay now anyway.

Suing poor people never turns out well for the people doing the suing. It ends up costing them more than it is worth in time and legal fees.

Comment

Oh, sweetie. There must surely be some solution. And taking your own life is not it!

Praying hard for you to find an answer quickly.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

ing

I would not be surprised if you got a standard "we'll take you to court" form letter here. Talk to an attorney (even if you can't afford one you'll probably still get some good advice) and even the anesthesiologist him/herself if necessary.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

1) I'm so sorry for your loss.

2) Get a lawyer - the suit is crap. As long as you can document what you can afford and make the payments - even small ones - they don't have a leg to stand on. They don't want to take a crappy suit to court and get laughed at - especially by the judge.

Look up the bar association for your state - you can probably find someone who will consult pro bono for something like that.

Personally, they'd go on my '$5 list' - those accounts with low priority that I only send $5 a month to. But I'm not nice...

3) Bankruptcy is fully survivable and a reasonable alternative when repayment is impossible (Chap 13 actually repays and is a good way to go - talk to lawyer). If you need to, that's what it's there for and it's perfectly okay to use it.

4) No, you may NOT commit suicide - PERIOD. It's a cruelty to everyone that gives a darn about you and vicious as heck to those who love you. Get counselling NOW. There are free and low cost services available through your state's mental health program so money is no excuse.

Look here, Little Sister, you were baptized into our family not so very long ago. At that time you told Jesus you would trust Him to be both Lord and Savior - suicide makes a lie of that. God is a really big God - He can handle this when you can't. Trust Him. When you can't hang on any more, give Him the rope and let Him hold it and you.

Suicide isn't an answer - it's running wildly away like some stupid character in a horror flick. That never turns out well, does it? Suicidal thoughts are just you telling yourself you're over whelmed - that's okay. Now you know, so stop telling yourself. The thought comes to mind, you find something else to think about. Mr Williams' grieving family, the weather, puppies, whether or not CP really wears yellow - ANYTHING ELSE. Do not entertain evil and that includes thoughts of suicide.

Counselling - NOW.

And Ke - God loves you, and so do we. Heck, I even like you a little...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

2) Get a lawyer - the suit is crap. As long as you can document what you can afford and make the payments - even small ones - they don't have a leg to stand on. They don't want to take a crappy suit to court and get laughed at - especially by the judge.

Look up the bar association for your state - you can probably find someone who will consult pro bono for something like that.

Personally, they'd go on my '$5 list' - those accounts with low priority that I only send $5 a month to. But I'm not nice...

3) Bankruptcy is fully survivable and a reasonable alternative when repayment is impossible (Chap 13 actually repays and is a good way to go - talk to lawyer). If you need to, that's what it's there for and it's perfectly okay to use it.

4) No, you may NOT commit suicide - PERIOD. It's a cruelty to everyone that gives a darn about you and vicious as heck to those who love you. Get counselling NOW. There are free and low cost services available through your state's mental health program so money is no excuse.

Look here, Little Sister, you were baptized into our family not so very long ago. At that time you told Jesus you would trust Him to be both Lord and Savior - suicide makes a lie of that. God is a really big God - He can handle this when you can't. Trust Him. When you can't hang on any more, give Him the rope and let Him hold it and you.

Suicide isn't an answer - it's running wildly away like some stupid character in a horror flick. That never turns out well, does it? Suicidal thoughts are just you telling yourself you're over whelmed - that's okay. Now you know, so stop telling yourself. The thought comes to mind, you find something else to think about. Mr Williams' grieving family, the weather, puppies, whether or not CP really wears yellow - ANYTHING ELSE. Do not entertain evil and that includes thoughts of suicide.

Counselling - NOW.

Yeah!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Counselling - NOW.

AMEN!

x

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

-ing ke

God is big enough to handle this crisis.
                  3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Hang in there.
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Ke....pray and do seek a lawyer. Don't let your emotions drive you decisions.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Dear Sweet Punkinhead....

First, you are in my prayers, and on my heart.

Second, read Romans 8.

Without going into a long sermon, Paul had been talking about justification, then sanctification, then "adoption". Interestingly, because we are "heirs of God", and "joint heirs with Christ", we have been given the spirit of adoption, whereby we can cry Abba Father. Interestingly, as Paul was talking about all kinds of wonderful stuff - forgiveness of sin, adoption into God's family, etc -- he suddenly mentions suffering -- vs 18 "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us".

What in the WORLD was he doing talking about "suffering" in all of this "good stuff"? Well, my weird brain went right back to that "Abba" thing just a few verses prior to that, and the first time we see "Abba" used is when Jesus is in the Garden praying to His Father (Mark 14:36). Then, again in Galatians, we see "And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father."

When my baby daughter was getting ready to marry her sweetheart, we discovered he had cancer. (I wrote several threads about this, I know, but I don't believe I mentioned this part) Long story short, I married them on a Thanksgiving, and he died the following Christmas, just one month later. The night he died, I was at their house "just to visit", not knowing he was going to pass. The house was full of friends and family, and at one point, Jenny came to me and said quietly, "Dad, I know they all mean well, but I haven't had any time at all just to be alone with Blake". I told her I would take care of it, and I went into the bedroom and very politely asked everybody if Jenny could have a few moments alone. Everybody understood, and moved out to the living room, and Jenny went into the bedroom. Only MINUTES later, she came out of the bedroom with tears in her eyes, and told me "he's gone".

I held her in my arms, and I prayed, "Abba Father..... " -- she caught that. After the funeral, she told me, "Dad, I did a study on that Abba thing, and I have had some wonderful talks with the Lord, addressing him "Abba", and He felt SO CLOSE to me".

I love you, Punkinhead. I would hug you and hold you and pray "Abba, Father......" But I'm not there. So I encourage you to use that name which we are given by the spirit of adoption, and remember that even as dark and ugly as things look, "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us".

Today I'm dealing with a couple who just moved back to our town from Oklahoma to build their retirement home. Halfway through construction, the husband fell ill. He has liver failure from hepatitis C that he apparently contracted over 30 years ago from a blood transfusion. They didn't have their septic system installed yet, and only part of the electrical, so some of us from the Church have been working to try to get them comfortable, because we have learned that the doctor has said there's pretty much a zero chance of him getting any better.

There is SO much hurt and sorrow and trouble around. But our God is bigger than all of that, and even though it seems from time to time that we are taxed WAY beyond our ability to survive, we have that precious promise of God that He will never leave us nor forsake us.

I wish I had better answers, Punkinhead, but I don't. I love you, LOTS of people here love you, and most importantly, Abba Father loves you.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wot Teal said.

Praying for you Ke7
                          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Dear Sweet Punkinhead....

First, you are in my prayers, and on my heart.

Second, read Romans 8.

Without going into a long sermon, Paul had been talking about justification, then sanctification, then "adoption". Interestingly, because we are "heirs of God", and "joint heirs with Christ", we have been given the spirit of adoption, whereby we can cry Abba Father. Interestingly, as Paul was talking about all kinds of wonderful stuff - forgiveness of sin, adoption into God's family, etc -- he suddenly mentions suffering -- vs 18 "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us".

What in the WORLD was he doing talking about "suffering" in all of this "good stuff"? Well, my weird brain went right back to that "Abba" thing just a few verses prior to that, and the first time we see "Abba" used is when Jesus is in the Garden praying to His Father (Mark 14:36). Then, again in Galatians, we see "And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father."

When my baby daughter was getting ready to marry her sweetheart, we discovered he had cancer. (I wrote several threads about this, I know, but I don't believe I mentioned this part) Long story short, I married them on a Thanksgiving, and he died the following Christmas, just one month later. The night he died, I was at their house "just to visit", not knowing he was going to pass. The house was full of friends and family, and at one point, Jenny came to me and said quietly, "Dad, I know they all mean well, but I haven't had any time at all just to be alone with Blake". I told her I would take care of it, and I went into the bedroom and very politely asked everybody if Jenny could have a few moments alone. Everybody understood, and moved out to the living room, and Jenny went into the bedroom. Only MINUTES later, she came out of the bedroom with tears in her eyes, and told me "he's gone".

I held her in my arms, and I prayed, "Abba Father..... " -- she caught that. After the funeral, she told me, "Dad, I did a study on that Abba thing, and I have had some wonderful talks with the Lord, addressing him "Abba", and He felt SO CLOSE to me".

I love you, Punkinhead. I would hug you and hold you and pray "Abba, Father......" But I'm not there. So I encourage you to use that name which we are given by the spirit of adoption, and remember that even as dark and ugly as things look, "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us".

Today I'm dealing with a couple who just moved back to our town from Oklahoma to build their retirement home. Halfway through construction, the husband fell ill. He has liver failure from hepatitis C that he apparently contracted over 30 years ago from a blood transfusion. They didn't have their septic system installed yet, and only part of the electrical, so some of us from the Church have been working to try to get them comfortable, because we have learned that the doctor has said there's pretty much a zero chance of him getting any better.

There is SO much hurt and sorrow and trouble around. But our God is bigger than all of that, and even though it seems from time to time that we are taxed WAY beyond our ability to survive, we have that precious promise of God that He will never leave us nor forsake us.

I wish I had better answers, Punkinhead, but I don't. I love you, LOTS of people here love you, and most importantly, Abba Father loves you.
                            Double yeah!

Comment

Comment