Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Hurricane Laura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11 hours out now, it looks like landfall is going to coincide with high tide, says here.
    Hurricane Laura Tropical Cyclone Update
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL132020
    500 PM CDT Wed Aug 26 2020

...500 PM CDT POSITION UPDATE...

Low tide occurred along the northwestern Gulf coast within the past
    hour, and water levels are expected to rise quickly through the
    evening and overnight due to storm surge and the tide.

Hourly updates began at 2pm Central, and will continue through landfall and beyond.

Folks shouldn't mistake the tracking cone for the hurricane itself. That's just an estimate of where the center will be. The surge is already hitting, and the leading edge is already inland.

Watch here.

Comment

Uh oh!!! High tide + storm surge = In Big Trouble!
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I'm hearing that Laura is now Cat 2. I don't think I've thought about this...is it normal to see a storm downgraded so quickly?
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          I'm hearing that Laura is now Cat 2. I don't think I've thought about this...is it normal to see a storm downgraded so quickly?
          It is not normal. Some friends of mine in the "Cajun Navy" in Louisiana are amazed at the storm damage compared to the hype. Doesn't look near as damaging as had been predicted.

("Cajun Navy" is a bunch of guys and gals who own boats and planes and air boats, and do voluntary search and rescue during and immediately after a hurricane or natural disaster)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            Yes, that's normal. The intensity drops fast after landfall. The fact that it's still Cat hours after landfall says volumes. This is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
              Yes, that's normal. The intensity drops fast after landfall. The fact that it's still Cat hours after landfall says volumes. This is bad.
              You don't think it dropped faster than normal?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                It is not normal. Some friends of mine in the "Cajun Navy" in Louisiana are amazed at the storm damage compared to the hype. Doesn't look near as damaging as had been predicted.
                As predicted by the Weather Channel, maybe, which is exactly why they're such a menace. It's still well within the predictions from the NHC, and on the high end at that, because it was still strengthening right up to the time it made landfall.

Comment

As predicted by the Weather Channel, maybe, which is exactly why they're such a menace. It's still well within the predictions from the NHC, and on the high end at that, because it was still strengthening right up to the time it made landfall.
                  Well, quite honestly, you're WAY more into this than I am, so I'll defer to your assessment.

Maybe I'm comparing it to all the hype, rather than, as you stressed, the info should come from the Hurricane Center, not the local news.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    You don't think it dropped faster than normal?
                    I've been through about a dozen of these now, watching the NHC updates as they came out with understandably personal interest. This is normal. Every time I see a storm coming toward me, I'm praying it'll sideswipe Cuba or some other island on the way in. Any kind of landfall tears them up. If they have to cross mountains on those islands, all the better.

Comment

10 am CDT advisory

Laura will continue to rapidly weaken today while it moves farther
                      inland. The cyclone will become a tropical storm this afternoon and
                      is expected to weaken to a tropical depression tonight or early
                      Friday. Although Laura is weakening, strong wind gusts are likely
                      to spread over northern Louisiana and Arkansas into this evening.
                      The UKMET and ECMWF models continue show the extratropical remnants
                      of Laura strengthening somewhat over the western Atlantic, and the
                      NHC forecast continues to depict the system as a gale-force low at
                      days 3-5. An alternate scenario is for the system to be absorbed
                      by a frontal boundary over the western Atlantic before the end of
                      the forecast period. The extratropical portion of the forecast is
                      based on guidance from the NOAA Ocean Prediction Center.

Comment

I've been through about a dozen of these now, watching the NHC updates as they came out with understandably personal interest. This is normal. Every time I see a storm coming toward me, I'm praying it'll sideswipe Cuba or some other island on the way in. Any kind of landfall tears them up. If they have to cross mountains on those islands, all the better.
                        We were hit by Hurricane Ike - giant oak tree landed on my roof, many tree limbs down, and without power for 14 days, but that's pretty much my extent of "being in a hurricane".

I was actually in Patterson Louisiana the day before Hurricane Katrina came ashore, and I remember our pilot coming into the field office saying, "we need to be wheels up in 20 minutes - there's a big storm headed for us".

Wow - what an understatement!!!

Comment

This isn't a storm that should be minimized. Any storm that's still a hurricane an hour after landfall is just wicked.

Laura made landfall near Cameron, Louisiana, around 0600 UTC (1 am
                          CDT) with maximum sustained winds of 130 kt, which is near the high
                          end of category 4 status.

It's still a hurricane 9 hours after landfall. I have no words. There's gonna be bodies washing up on the shoreline for weeks.

Comment

But what about the people on the islands??? Who decided to live on barrier islands centuries ago in the first place? Or at sea level. Except there isn't anywhere in the USA that's completely natural disaster free.
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Last storm I remember that held together passing over us was Wilma, which came in as a high Cat3 and blasted across the state in a couple of hours, not enough time to drop it to a TS, but too fast to dump much water, thankfully. We didn't even flood out, but every billboard within 50 miles of the track was blown down.

Comment

Last storm I remember that held together passing over us was Wilma, which came in as a high Cat3 and blasted across the state in a couple of hours, not enough time to drop it to a TS, but too fast to dump much water, thankfully. We didn't even flood out, but every billboard within 50 miles of the track was blown down.
                                I remember you remarked on that.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment