Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Hurricane Laura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Laura

Making landfall soon if I'm not mistaken. Pray for all affected in projected area of Louisiana and Texas.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Making landfall soon if I'm not mistaken. Pray for all affected in projected area of Louisiana and Texas.
    Laura.jpg

The good news is it's slowed down, giving folks more time to evacuate.

The bad news is it's slowed down, and is going to hit stronger, so they have to evacuate.

Comment

I live up toward Austin, and the traffic through our town last night was incredible --- evacuees headed from Houston/Galveston and other places along the coast.

At least, I think, this means they're taking this seriously.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We have a few friends in the area and at least two friends of mine have relatives there. They're safe far as I know....I'm not sure if they have any in south Louisiana.

Comment

Skies are already dark and "swirly", and the rain has begun --- just a sprinkle for now, but Jake is quite unsettled.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Weather Channel lies.

It's a scandal, and something people should know. They deliberately exaggerate weather threats, often enough in direct contradiction to official forecasts from national services that aren't paid-by-the-click. Their duty is to their advertisers, not their audience. It's easy to spot the difference.

warning.jpg

Those of us with a personal interest in reliable storm warnings get our information directly from the National Hurricane Center, just up the road from me in Miami. People should know that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
              The Weather Channel lies.

It's a scandal, and something people should know. They deliberately exaggerate weather threats, often enough in direct contradiction to official forecasts from national services that aren't paid-by-the-click. Their duty is to their advertisers, not their audience. It's easy to spot the difference.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47968[/ATTACH]

Those of us with a personal interest in reliable storm warnings get our information directly from the National Hurricane Center, just up the road from me in Miami. People should know that, too.
              Somebody posted - maybe on Facebook - a weather person in Austin adamantly refusing to be involved in the scare-mongering, and saying "we're keeping a close eye on it, and will report the facts, but not the hype" (or words to that effect).

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Skies are already dark and "swirly", and the rain has begun --- just a sprinkle for now, but Jake is quite unsettled.
                To be honest, nobody down here worries about tropical storms. Just bring in the lawn furniture and make sure the generator's on spec. Cat 1 is barely interesting if you're more than 10 miles from landfall. Rule of thumb is 10 miles per Cat level and you'll be all right once the power's back and the flooding has gone down. Cat 3 scares me, lost a car from falling trees to the last one.

And then there's this.
                Laura is likely to continue strengthening today while it moves over
                warm waters of the northwestern Gulf of Mexico and the vertical
                wind shear remains low. Laura's intensity could level-off by this
                evening due to the possibility of an eyewall replacement cycle
                and the expected increase in shear around the time of landfall.
                Even if the rate of strengthening eases, Laura is expected to be
                an extremely powerful category 4 hurricane when it reaches the
                northwestern Gulf coast.

This is a pack-up-and-git forecast.

If I had friends out there, and space within reach and more than 50 miles inland from landfall, I'd be offering them shelter about now.

Comment

This is a pack-up-and-git forecast.
                  NHC Twitter
                  Unsurvivable storm surge with large and destructive waves will cause catastrophic damage from Sea Rim State Park, Texas, to Intracoastal City, Louisiana, including Calcasieu and Sabine Lakes. This surge could penetrate up to 30 miles inland from the immediate coastline. #Laura

Emphasis on "Unsurvivable."

Surge map:

surge.jpg

Comment

Meaning if they don't leave that area, they will be drowned by the storm surge? They better get out of there!
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

NHC Twitter
                      Unsurvivable storm surge with large and destructive waves will cause catastrophic damage from Sea Rim State Park, Texas, to Intracoastal City, Louisiana, including Calcasieu and Sabine Lakes. This surge could penetrate up to 30 miles inland from the immediate coastline. #Laura

Emphasis on "Unsurvivable."

Surge map:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47969[/ATTACH]
                      My stepdaughter's godparents are in the area.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        My stepdaughter's godparents are in the area.
                        Please tell me they are NOT now in the area....😧😧😧😧

Comment

At least there's an inland to get too. What if someone doesn't have a car?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            At least there's an inland to get too. What if someone doesn't have a car?
                            There have been buses available, and there are plenty of local operations to round up people who don't have transportation.

One of the problems is capacity on buses due to Covid factors.

Comment

I hope no one acts like the guy in the joke that dies in a flood due to refusing to evacuate.

Comment