Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

People in my family have Covid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    https://diabetesstrong.com/diabetes-donate-blood/

Your A1c and general blood sugar management
    The American Red Cross does not list a specific A1c or blood sugar level requirement for those with diabetes to be eligible.
    That being said, blood with higher levels of glucose simply doesn’t maintain its quality during the storage period compared to blood with a normal glucose level.
    This doesn’t mean you need perfect blood sugar levels to donate, but if you’ve been struggling with diabetes management and your A1c is well above 9 percent, or your blood sugar is over 200 mg/dL at the time of donating, you may want to wait until you’ve been able to bring your blood sugars down into a healthier range.
    You will not have to prove your A1c or even your current blood sugar level at the time of donating, so it’s really up to you to be honest, and let the American Red Cross professionals determine if you qualify during the screening process.
    Wow. Thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Not to derail...but why can't diabetics donate blood?
    https://diabetesstrong.com/diabetes-donate-blood/

Your A1c and general blood sugar management
    The American Red Cross does not list a specific A1c or blood sugar level requirement for those with diabetes to be eligible.
    That being said, blood with higher levels of glucose simply doesn’t maintain its quality during the storage period compared to blood with a normal glucose level.
    This doesn’t mean you need perfect blood sugar levels to donate, but if you’ve been struggling with diabetes management and your A1c is well above 9 percent, or your blood sugar is over 200 mg/dL at the time of donating, you may want to wait until you’ve been able to bring your blood sugars down into a healthier range.
    You will not have to prove your A1c or even your current blood sugar level at the time of donating, so it’s really up to you to be honest, and let the American Red Cross professionals determine if you qualify during the screening process.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Not to derail...but why can't diabetics donate blood?

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    They would only be taking your plasma not your blood.
    Interesting. I may just go ahead and do it then.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    That actually came up this weekend, so I may consider it. As a diabetic though, I usually don't qualify for blood donations.
    They would only be taking your plasma not your blood.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I understand they are looking for antibody donors? Would your test be covered if you sign up for it? (Just an idea...I have no idea if it works that way).
    That actually came up this weekend, so I may consider it. As a diabetic though, I usually don't qualify for blood donations.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    I probably had it in early March. I'm guessing from the Atlanta airport, where I spent a good 7 hour layover. They only tested me for the flu then, but I was seriously ill for over a month, and it took almost 3 months to be able to breathe properly. My doctor said he suspects that I did in fact have it, given the symptoms from my chart, but the antibody test was $300 and my insurance wouldn't cover it.
    I understand they are looking for antibody donors? Would your test be covered if you sign up for it? (Just an idea...I have no idea if it works that way).

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    I probably had it in early March. I'm guessing from the Atlanta airport, where I spent a good 7 hour layover. They only tested me for the flu then, but I was seriously ill for over a month, and it took almost 3 months to be able to breathe properly. My doctor said he suspects that I did in fact have it, given the symptoms from my chart, but the antibody test was $300 and my insurance wouldn't cover it.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Hang in there Wall.

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    Apparently the name comes from my great grandmother on my father's side. I never knew her, but my father says she was a great person.

My family doesn't always get along. It feels nice to have something we can all celebrate.

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    I do have some good news. My little sister has been named. She will be named Viola.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    Overall I am still finding things to be thankful for.

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    I have been around on here I sometimes comment or like a post.

Work is hectic. I watched online sermons from the church I go to. It's been a bit since I've done that. I have been praying for folks and just getting by trying to help out. Been staying with my grandparents.

I love people.

Leave a comment: