Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Chaplain Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    "It's Just a Different Badge" is good too.
    Even better.

Or given that long titles are popular these days; maybe combine them?

"It's Just a Different Badge: The Police Chaplain Thing Kind of Fizzled."
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Even better.

Or given that long titles are popular these days; maybe combine them?

"It's Just a Different Badge: The Police Chaplain Thing Kind of Fizzled."
      Love it

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So, I think the Police Chief (and his liaison officer to the Chaplains) are coming to the conclusion (rightfully so) that having a number of untrained chaplains (just because they're ministers in the community) has diluted the value of having "a police chaplain". But they don't quite know how to "fire" a half dozen volunteer chaplains and select one who is trained as a chaplain, or willing to be trained.

As it was, a minister could "volunteer" to be a Police Chaplain, and he'd pretty much be "added to the roster" without any real evaluation.

The Fire Department has its own Chaplain (singular), as does the Sheriff's Office. Now EMS has its own chaplain (me) and the three of us are on the First Responders CISM team, and train together. Nobody from the PD takes part in that, or was invited.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, this got me to thinking... what percentage of Chaplain interventions/encounters will actually have a rosy outcome, like this incident?

In many cases, somebody ends up dead (just last night - motorcycle accident) and there's no "happy ending".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            So, this got me to thinking... what percentage of Chaplain interventions/encounters will actually have a rosy outcome, like this incident?

In many cases, somebody ends up dead (just last night - motorcycle accident) and there's no "happy ending".
            Often this is the start of a trite rejoinder, but not in this case.

If you can help save just one person...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You take those shining moments and praise God that you were available for His use in that one life.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

For me, it's God expects us to make the effort and leave the results up to Him. While the context of 1 Corinthians 3:6 is evangelism, I think the principal still applies.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Yeah, I'm just thinking in terms of "what to write about" --- it's fun writing about the "successes", but there will probably be a lot more times that things just turned out bad, and you do the best ya can --- but not something about which you'd want to write.

Comment

Yeah, I'm just thinking in terms of "what to write about" --- it's fun writing about the "successes", but there will probably be a lot more times that things just turned out bad, and you do the best ya can --- but not something about which you'd want to write.
                    I think those are important, too. And you have no idea how your availability and presence at those times are going to affect other people at the scene. You are not just the chaplain to the victims of accidents, but to the first responders as well.

God will still use you in those moments in ways you may not realize then, or even until you face Christ.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The losses have as much importance and value as the wins, I'm thinking.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So, I think the Police Chief (and his liaison officer to the Chaplains) are coming to the conclusion (rightfully so) that having a number of untrained chaplains (just because they're ministers in the community) has diluted the value of having "a police chaplain". But they don't quite know how to "fire" a half dozen volunteer chaplains and select one who is trained as a chaplain, or willing to be trained.

As it was, a minister could "volunteer" to be a Police Chaplain, and he'd pretty much be "added to the roster" without any real evaluation.

The Fire Department has its own Chaplain (singular), as does the Sheriff's Office. Now EMS has its own chaplain (me) and the three of us are on the First Responders CISM team, and train together. Nobody from the PD takes part in that, or was invited.
                        They can move to a two tier system. "We're working toward a more professional, more tailored chaplaincy that better fits the needs of those we serve..." Basically, those with training are used as primary' those without training are the B team (when you can't get anyone else). Offer a path from the B team to the A (training) and let the guys sort themselves out. Those willing to train will; those content with being a back up that is rarely called upon can stay there. The rest will likely consider the commitment and decide to focus elsewhere.

And stop adding to the B team.
                        Last edited by Teallaura; 05-18-2022, 10:25 AM.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I think those are important, too. And you have no idea how your availability and presence at those times are going to affect other people at the scene. You are not just the chaplain to the victims of accidents, but to the first responders as well.

God will still use you in those moments in ways you may not realize then, or even until you face Christ.
                          Yeah, that!
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The losses have as much importance and value as the wins, I'm thinking.
                            Yeah, and it's not supposed to be a "fun book" --- it needs to be more like examples of "a day in the life of a chaplain" or something, which will often include tragic situations.

Comment

Yeah, and it's not supposed to be a "fun book" --- it needs to be more like examples of "a day in the life of a chaplain" or something, which will often include tragic situations.
                              Certainly doesn't hurt for people to know that it isn't all beer and skittles.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Certainly doesn't hurt for people to know that it isn't all beer and skittles.
                                Yeah, some of my "Police Stories" are pretty gut-wrenching, just because they are.

Comment