Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

New degree, new job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New degree, new job?

Hi everyone! I just wanted to offer a quick praise report and make a prayer request. It's for me.

First, the praise. A while ago, I finally quit resisting God's call on my life and enrolled in a graduate program in theology. I've been working full time and doing school all during the pandemic, so it's been a pretty rough time for me. Many of you know that I'm a detective, so perhaps you can imagine being a cop throughout the BLM protests, while managing graduate coursework in theology (Hint: So. Much. Reading.), and being subject to call-outs. I distinctly remember wondering if I would even complete a few courses because of significant work disruptions. I've worked protest events on an emergency basis while falling behind on that big research paper, caught a violent sexual predator instead of taking that big exam on time, and fallen behind on coursework after catching COVID at the beginning of a course...only to immediately catch several major cases as soon as I was back at work. But I digress and I'm not looking for praise myself. I'm just saying it's been a tough couple years. The praise report? By God's grace, I've completed the program and I'm graduating!

Second, the prayer request. I feel called to change careers, and I'm unsure where God is leading me. I am currently in a hiring process for a job with a Christian non-profit that I've been eyeing for nearly three years. So that's exciting.

On the other hand, I'm so very deep into total work burnout. Without going into detail, let's just say that I have to leave my job sometime soon just to keep my own sanity. I've finally come to the difficult conclusion that the best thing for me to do is leave the career path I've been on for so long. Despite the degrees, certifications, advanced training, promotions, and being nearly halfway to retirement age in the pension system....I just don't want to to do it any more. I also sincerely believe that I had to come to this point before I would have seriously considered ministry work in some capacity, so I have to thank God for that gift.

At this point, I'm praying that God will give me the wisdom to make good decisions about when to quit my job, what new options to pursue, and that He will open the right doors for me to end up where He wants me. Any prayer would be much appreciated.
    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Praying for you, brother - and not just "now".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I understand the frustration you are having with your police work. Both happy for you regarding your graduation and commiserating with you regarding your police job. My brother retired a few years ago (with pension) and he says he is so glad to have gotten out before all this BLM/Defund the police nonsense started. At least now you have options.

My prayer is that God helps you make the right decision for your future, whatever that might be.

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
        Hi everyone! I just wanted to offer a quick praise report and make a prayer request. It's for me.

First, the praise. A while ago, I finally quit resisting God's call on my life and enrolled in a graduate program in theology. I've been working full time and doing school all during the pandemic, so it's been a pretty rough time for me. Many of you know that I'm a detective, so perhaps you can imagine being a cop throughout the BLM protests, while managing graduate coursework in theology (Hint: So. Much. Reading.), and being subject to call-outs. I distinctly remember wondering if I would even complete a few courses because of significant work disruptions. I've worked protest events on an emergency basis while falling behind on that big research paper, caught a violent sexual predator instead of taking that big exam on time, and fallen behind on coursework after catching COVID at the beginning of a course...only to immediately catch several major cases as soon as I was back at work. But I digress and I'm not looking for praise myself. I'm just saying it's been a tough couple years. The praise report? By God's grace, I've completed the program and I'm graduating!

Second, the prayer request. I feel called to change careers, and I'm unsure where God is leading me. I am currently in a hiring process for a job with a Christian non-profit that I've been eyeing for nearly three years. So that's exciting.

On the other hand, I'm so very deep into total work burnout. Without going into detail, let's just say that I have to leave my job sometime soon just to keep my own sanity. I've finally come to the difficult conclusion that the best thing for me to do is leave the career path I've been on for so long. Despite the degrees, certifications, advanced training, promotions, and being nearly halfway to retirement age in the pension system....I just don't want to to do it any more. I also sincerely believe that I had to come to this point before I would have seriously considered ministry work in some capacity, so I have to thank God for that gift.

At this point, I'm praying that God will give me the wisdom to make good decisions about when to quit my job, what new options to pursue, and that He will open the right doors for me to end up where He wants me. Any prayer would be much appreciated.
        I'm retired now for many years. But I gave up my career in my early 20s to live the Sermon on the mount. Seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness as a job in exchange for Him meeting all my needs. I worked, but only in obedience to the word. Sometimes working dead-end part-time jobs, witnessing as I went. Ending in early retirement out of my own pocket. Never missing a day's work. Not having a doctor since the 1980s and still medicine-free today. I encourage you to make Christ your career and walk through any door He opens, and don't be discouraged by the ones He closes.

Comment

Just an update -- I'm working my last week at work. I do NOT have a job lined up, but I felt I needed to be obedient and trust God. So next week I start the job search as an unemployed person. :P
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Obedience is always best, may the Lord continually lead you...

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Just an update -- I'm working my last week at work. I do NOT have a job lined up, but I felt I needed to be obedient and trust God. So next week I start the job search as an unemployed person. :P
              Sounds like you are following in Cow Poke's footsteps.

I pray God helps you find the perfect job. You might actually want to contact Cow Poke personally to see if he can help you out. He seems to know people everywhere. And probably has some good advice for a former police officer wanting to move into a more spiritual career.

Comment

We have a family pastor who worked part-time as a police officer because it would teach him about serving people in was bible college just couldn’t. I think when you find the right position, you will have some great skills to offer them.

Godnbless you on your career journey.
                I am become death...

Comment

As a follow-up praise report to this request, I'm happy to report that I'm been offered a temporary, full-time position at a ministry that I really respect. The pay's great, but of course the other downside is no benefits because the position isn't permanent. I'm excited, however, to get to work there and we'll see where God sends me from here.

Comment

As a follow-up praise report to this request, I'm happy to report that I'm been offered a temporary, full-time position at a ministry that I really respect. The pay's great, but of course the other downside is no benefits because the position isn't permanent. I'm excited, however, to get to work there and we'll see where God sends me from here.
                    congrats!

Comment

May you be blessed beyond your wildest expectations, brother.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

To quote one of my wife's favorite songs: "One day at a time, sweet Jesus. That's all we can ask of you."
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Great to hear.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment