Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Your girl is a lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your girl is a lawyer

I found out Friday that I passed the Texas bar exam. I get sworn in on Monday.

For those of you who are unaware, the entire bar exam process was a complete nightmare this year. Husband and I left Massachusetts a month earlier than initially planned after my final semester of law school went all online, and we quarantined with some family until we were able to rent a house of our own.

They cancelled the July bar exam less than a month before it was supposed to take place and offered either an in-person exam in September in hotel rooms (yuck) or an all-online exam with untested software in October. I chose the October exam for reasons explained below. The initial software they had us using royally messed up shortly before Florida's initial attempt at an online bar exam in August and literally every state using the software backed out of its contract. It was bad. There were data breaches, computer crashes, etc that most of us assumed were connected with the software. A second exam software company had already declared that this scale of an exam (because many other states, including the two largest - California and New York - were all set to use the same software at the exact same time in October) was impossible and backed out. So we were all stuck with this last exam company. We ended up buying a new laptop just to ensure that my computer wouldn't overheat and that I could protect our data during the exam.

I started my first full-time law-related job in August and balanced continued study from August to the exam. Mind you, bar prep programs are designed to be completed by studying full time for 8 to 10 weeks. I ended up studying for about 21 weeks and had to be careful to pace myself toward the end to prevent burnout and not run out of study materials. Fortunately we're in a nice house with plenty of rooms and I am working from home.

My mother contracted COVID in September and was hospitalized for 4.5/5 days with double pneumonia. My father, brother, and sister-in-law also all contracted COVID though they only had mild symptoms. All are well now, but it was a scary few days. I took a test, but I was thankfully negative for COVID.

Finally, I have been pregnant this whole dang time. My lil bean was the size of a sesame seed when I started studying and will be nearly the size of a head of romaine lettuce (according to my app) by the time I am sworn in. She's the reason I elected to go with the untested online bar exam and avoid an in-person exam in a hotel, and she and I did it. This entire process has been total bananas, but we did it.

Fin.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Congrats x2!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yay. Some great news.

Comment

That's great! Congrats, momma lawyer!

Comment

That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Congratulations. Glad to read everyone recovered and hoping for safe delivery.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              Congratulations. Glad to read everyone recovered and hoping for safe delivery.
              safe and legal

Comment

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Wow you got grits, girl! Congrats!
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Update: I got sworn in today via virtual induction ceremony. I still can't and won't give legal advice because of my job, but I technically am allowed to practice law in the State of Texas!

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                      "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                      Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment