Announcement

Collapse

Memorial Garden Guidelines

This forum is to remember all friends and family who passed from this earth. We were lucky to know them, let us encourage one another with their memories.
This is not a debate area, nor a place to speak ill of the dead.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Sir Nicholas George Winton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Nicholas George Winton

Winton is best known for organizing the rescue of 669 children, mostly Jewish, from Nazi-occupied Czechoslovakia on the eve of the Second World War in an operation later known as the Czech Kindertransport. He then found homes for the children and arranged for their safe passage to Britain

The action earned him the nickname the "British Schindler" decades later when his deeds became public. It was never his style to talk about it -- even his wife didn't know about it until she inadvertently discovered a scrapbook tucked away in their attic in 1988 which he kept that detailed the children's parents and the families that took them in.

He passed away peacefully in his sleep at Wexham Hospital, Slough at the age of 106 on the anniversary of the departure of a train in 1939 carrying the largest number of children - 241.

In an age when someone is called a hero for playing a game or staring in a movie or TV program, Winton was the real deal.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Oh wow.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

http://benzwycky.com/2015/07/24/not-forgotten/
        --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X