Announcement

Collapse

Memorial Garden Guidelines

This forum is to remember all friends and family who passed from this earth. We were lucky to know them, let us encourage one another with their memories.
This is not a debate area, nor a place to speak ill of the dead.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

RIP Robin Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Robin Williams

http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news...uicide-6053630

Source: TVNZ

Robin Williams found dead in suspected suicide
    Published: 11:04AM Tuesday August 12, 2014 Source: ONE News
    Actor Robin Williams has been found dead in his home in a suspected suicide, according to reports.

Officials are investigating the death of the 63-year-old who was found unconscious inside his home in northern California.

The Marin County Sheriff's Office said investigations into the circumstances of the death are currently underway by the Investigations and Coroner Divisions of the Sheriff's Office, officials said.

Investigators said that Williams was last seen alive at his residence, where he resides with his wife, at approximately 10pm on Sunday, a report released from his publicist says.

Coroner Division suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia, but a comprehensive investigation must be completed before a final determination is made.

A forensic examination is currently scheduled for August 12, 2014 with subsequent toxicology testing to be conducted.

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Wow... what a tragedy. Very funny man.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Very funny man.
      Your mileage may vary, I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
        Your mileage may vary, I guess...
        I grew up listening to him. He was only about 18 years older than me. I remember his early stand-up, Garp, Good Morning Vietnam, Aladdin, Mrs. Doubtfire, etc.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Wow... what a tragedy. Very funny man.
                Yes, very funny man, though his wit could be quite vicious at times. Some people are like that because they're desperately lonely inside.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

A product of his time, definitely the signature comedian of the 90s, and his forays into seriousness didn't always have to be complete schmaltz (okay, Bicentennial Man and Patch Adams were probably low points, and Dead Poets Society is very nearly unforgivable for its reckless glamorization of suicide.) But he also did What Dreams May Come, which, visually at least, was probably the last old Hollywood attempt to realize a glimpse of Heaven. And even the rest of the films he made that were schmaltzy were at least serious about the concepts behind the schmaltz, which seemed to have worked best in Hook and gone downhill from there. I do get the feeling that Hollywood at the time probably couldn't handle a more serious tone* even if Robin Williams was ready for it.

The best comparison is probably to Jim Carrey, whose humor was much more on point but whose range was far more restrained (Liar Liar is still by far his best movie, but no one's going to claim Bruce Almighty as a CS Lewis-ian glimpse of the holy.) Both were superstars in the 90s, but only Robin Williams could pull off semi-realistic solemnity and semi-realistic frivolity, at least enough to star in a much greater range of film roles beyond simple comedy. Here's hoping that Carrey can find Jesus and his inner Bill Murray before the constant and condescending whispers to suicide as the proper career-ender among Hollywood's elite get to him, as well. That town has no place for actors wanting mature, sensible or decent lives, and pushes the deadly 'better to burn out than to fade away!' message in a thousand small and large ways.

*If you doubt that some decades are more corrupt, dissolute, and fundamentally less serious than others, try to watch The Neverending Story and then compare it unfavorably to any Robin Williams movie, or any 90s fantasy movie. Different decades and different styles, yes, but there's a whole lot to be said for uncompromisingly preaching courage in the face of disaster to both the youngest and oldest, who feel the temptations to self-annihilation most strongly.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Yes, very funny man, though his wit could be quite vicious at times. Some people are like that because they're desperately lonely inside.
                    Exactly. He was a brilliant man but destructive. I do hope they are mistaken about the manner of death but it doesn't seem likely.

Comment

Dead Poets Society is very nearly unforgivable for its reckless glamorization of suicide.
                      How does "Dead Poets Society" glamorize suicide?
                      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Comment

Personally, I liked his serious roles best.
                          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Press conference by Marlin County Sheriff - coroner: Preliminary finding is death by hanging, presumably suicide. Evidence of cuts on wrist. Final conclusions will be released probably six weeks from now.

Comment

Financial problems may have played a factor

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X