Announcement

Collapse

Memorial Garden Guidelines

This forum is to remember all friends and family who passed from this earth. We were lucky to know them, let us encourage one another with their memories.
This is not a debate area, nor a place to speak ill of the dead.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

"Hammerin' Hank" Aaron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hammerin' Hank" Aaron

Regarded as one of baseball's greatest player, Aaron died in his sleep two weeks shy of his 87th birthday. Famous for breaking Babe Ruth's all-time home run record that stood for 33 years he also holds the record for the most runs batted in (RBIs), extra base hits and total bases. He is also tied with Millie Mays and Stan Musial for the most All-Star games played.

He was a devout Catholic who credited his faith for giving him the resolve to stand up to discrimination and racism (saying that he felt "God's hand on my shoulder") and was known for keeping a copy of The Imitation of Christ, a 15th cent. Christian devotional book by Thomas à Kempis, in his locker.

Shortly before breaking Ruth's record he discussed his Christian faith

I need to depend on someone who is bigger, stronger and wiser than I am. I don’t do it on my own. God is my strength. He gave me a good body and some talent and the freedom to develop it. He helps me when things go wrong. He forgives me when I fall on my face. He lights the way.

Saying that he wanted to be remember for more than hitting home runs, Aaron and his wife built a philanthropic legacy starting with paying extracurricular activity and equipment fees for needy grade school students and went on to include college scholarships (his Chasing the Dream Foundation handed out $350,000 in scholarships last year) and a multimillion-dollar grant to the Morehouse School of Medicine. His wife Billye worked for the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) for 14 years as a fundraiser until she retired.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Rest in peace. I remember him very well.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      Rest in peace. I remember him very well.
      I'll remember when his 715th HR took place simply because Aaron (who wore #44) hit it on my my mother's 44th birthday.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That is so sad. I did not pay attention to the details of his career but his name was a legend. He even got the covid shot 2 weeks earlier as an example to Blacks who were fearful of the vaccine programs by the government.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          That is so sad. I did not pay attention to the details of his career but his name was a legend. He even got the covid shot 2 weeks earlier as an example to Blacks who were fearful of the vaccine programs by the government.
          He was far more than just a great baseball player

Comment

I won't start a debate in this section, but many of us regard him as baseball's true home run king. But his real value as a person came off the field.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X