Announcement

Collapse

Memorial Garden Guidelines

This forum is to remember all friends and family who passed from this earth. We were lucky to know them, let us encourage one another with their memories.
This is not a debate area, nor a place to speak ill of the dead.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Chuck Yeager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Yeager

Rest in Peace

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/ch...er-dies-at-97/
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Yeager features in a terrific book by Tom Wolfe, titled The Right Stuff, mainly about the Mercury Astronauts.
    A great American hero, much admired.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

When I had an airplane craze as a young teen, his name was one that stood out amongst the great aviators of the world.
      To fly the Bell X-1 and take it to the then new barrier of the speed of sound, can't imagine the level of courage he yielded to plunge into that degree of unknown, and come out on top.

A definite great man, a great credit to the U.S. people.
      Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
      As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Yeager features in a terrific book by Tom Wolfe, titled The Right Stuff, mainly about the Mercury Astronauts.
          A great American hero, much admired.
          I wonder how many people know that he had a cameo in the movie version, playing "Fred" a bartender at a local watering hole.
          Or that the age of 89, on the 65th anniversary of his breaking the sound barrier, he celebrated by doing it again -- although this time as co-pilot.

He was a one-of-a-kind

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I interviewed him once. Can't recall much about it now. He used to come up to Crescent City, California and fish the Smith River.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
              I interviewed him once. Can't recall much about it now. He used to come up to Crescent City, California and fish the Smith River.
              My brother met him. He collected a bunch of memorabilia related to him which is probably now up for sale on his e-bay store by now. He is VERY mercenary about such things.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Mercenary, as in your brother or Chuck Yeager?

I recall that Joe DiMaggio used to sell his own autographs. Smart, actually.

Comment

Mercenary, as in your brother or Chuck Yeager?

I recall that Joe DiMaggio used to sell his own autographs. Smart, actually.
                  My brother. He collects and sells memorabilia, primarily but not limited to sports memorabilia.

When an inside source informed him that the golfing legend Arnold Palmer only had a day or two left he scooped up everything he could find and after he died two days later he immediately turned around and sold it making a significant profit.

He once got hold of a short letter signed by George Washington for $10,000 and then cut it up into ten word segments which he sold for $1000 each except for the actual signature which he sold for nearly $5000. IIRC he easily tripled his money.

And many athletes sell their autographs. My brother was the guy who sat next to them during various sports memorabilia shows where they would do it, being in charge of keeping the line orderly[1]. Often the athletes wouldn't sign certain things like bats and balls because those who got them would turn around and sell them for a huge profit. He would befriend them and they'd sign them for him. With these he'd wait a year or so before selling them so he didn't piss them off.

Have you ever watched Pawn Stars? The guy that authenticated autographs on the show (not the one in the early seasons with the giant magnifying glass who was a major league fraud) asked my brother to come work for him because he has a very good eye for distinguishing fake from real signatures. He ended up declining after hearing horror stories from people that had worked for him.

One time we went to an estate sale and he spotted a baseball on the mantle with a scribble on it. He asked how much it was and was told $5 because it was the last day and nobody could figure out what was written on it. My brother immediately pulled out the money and bought it. Afterwards they asked him if he could read it. He nodded and told them that was Willie Mays signature and was how he signed his name during his rookie year. I think he later sold it for something like $400 or $500.

1. I posted something about that after the boxer Muhammad Ali died and later something about my own experience with Ali: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum/social-studies/civics-101/22630-muhammad-ali-s-son-says-dad-would-have-hated-racist-black-lives-matter?p=1050848#post1050848The man had a wicked sense of humor.

Drat, the link still keeps messing up.

Try this:
                  Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  click on the arrow
                  Last edited by rogue06; 12-10-2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

My brother. He collects and sells memorabilia, primarily but not limited to sports memorabilia.

When an inside source informed him that the golfing legend Arnold Palmer only had a day or two left he scooped up everything he could find and after he died two days later he immediately turned around and sold it making a significant profit.

He once got hold of a short letter signed by George Washington for $10,000 and then cut it up into ten word segments which he sold for $1000 each except for the actual signature which he sold for nearly $5000. IIRC he easily tripled his money.

And many athletes sell their autographs. My brother was the guy who sat next to them during various sports memorabilia shows where they would do it, being in charge of keeping the line orderly[1]. Often the athletes wouldn't sign certain things like bats and balls because those who got them would turn around and sell them for a huge profit. He would befriend them and they'd sign them for him. With these he'd wait a year or so before selling them so he didn't piss them off.
                    Yeah, Ringo Starr stopped autographing everything about 10 years ago because people were selling them and making a profit.

Have you ever watched Pawn Stars? The guy that authenticated autographs on the show (not the one in the early seasons with the giant magnifying glass who was a major league fraud) asked my brother to come work for him because he has a very good eye for distinguishing fake from real signatures. He ended up declining after hearing horror stories from people that had worked for him.
                    I've seen several episodes.

One time we went to an estate sale and he spotted a baseball on the mantle with a scribble on it. He asked how much it was and was told $5 because it was the last day and nobody could figure out what was written on it. My brother immediately pulled out the money and bought it. Afterwards they asked him if he could read it. He nodded and told them that was Willie Mays signature and was how he signed his name during his rookie year. I think he later sold it for something like $400 or $500.

1. I posted something about that after the boxer Muhammad Ali died and later something about my own experience with Ali: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum/social-studies/civics-101/22630-muhammad-ali-s-son-says-dad-would-have-hated-racist-black-lives-matter?p=1050848#post1050848The man had a wicked sense of humor.

Drat, the link still keeps messing up.

Try this:
                    Didn't work for me.

I used to collect vinyl records but I got really tired of the obsession it became. There was always "something else" I wanted to get but was out of reach.

Comment

Didn't work for me.

I used to collect vinyl records but I got really tired of the obsession it became. There was always "something else" I wanted to get but was out of reach.
                      When I copy and paste it the link works and as I said if you try clicking on the little blue arrow below, that works as well.

click on the arrow
                      The blue arrow here ^^

It isn't essential to the story but does contain a couple of interesting stories about Ali.

Collecting anything can quickly become an obsession, especially for people who get more excited by the chase that the actual obtaining of it.

I once spent 5 years trying to get my hands on a VHS copy of a particular movie that was just unavailable. It was simply referred to as "The Quest." Any copy would have been a bootleg because due to lawsuits over music rights no copies were ever legally made. I would go with someone over to their house because they said they had one only to be told "my brother loaned it to a friend" after we got there. I had connections in Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong looking for copies. I knew a doctor who said he had a copy on Laser Disc down at his house in Florida who then said he couldn't find it. And the one time I did find a copy at a Dragon Con convention it was completely unwatchable although you could barely hear it over the static.

Comment

When I copy and paste it the link works and as I said if you try clicking on the little blue arrow below, that works as well.

The blue arrow here ^^

It isn't essential to the story but does contain a couple of interesting stories about Ali.
                        Got it. It's unclear when that took place. Because of his illness, Ali didn't seem very "with it" in his last decade or two.

Collecting anything can quickly become an obsession, especially for people who get more excited by the chase that the actual obtaining of it.

I once spent 5 years trying to get my hands on a VHS copy of a particular movie that was just unavailable. It was simply referred to as "The Quest." Any copy would have been a bootleg because due to lawsuits over music rights no copies were ever legally made. I would go with someone over to their house because they said they had one only to be told "my brother loaned it to a friend" after we got there. I had connections in Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong looking for copies. I knew a doctor who said he had a copy on Laser Disc down at his house in Florida who then said he couldn't find it. And the one time I did find a copy at a Dragon Con convention it was completely unwatchable although you could barely hear it over the static.
                        I had various collections at different times. Usually some artist or rock band, mostly just their recordings. But I found I am too much of a "completist" (if that's a word). I wasn't happy unless I had a complete collection and there was always something I couldn't get or afford. So I'd end up selling everything off and being happier.

The closest I got was collecting recordings by Syd Barrett, a cultish figure who started the band Pink Floyd. He retired from music really early on so his repertoire was limited. And even then, things kept popping up out of the woodwork and I'd think "Dang! I thought I was all done with that!"

Comment

Got it. It's unclear when that took place. Because of his illness, Ali didn't seem very "with it" in his last decade or two.
                          Those incidents took place in the early 90s, prior to him starting to show symptoms of Parkinson's. He never would have been able to do those complex slight of hand magic tricks otherwise.

Comment

To get back on subject

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X