Announcement

Collapse

Newsdesk Guidelines

The NEWSDESK is the area for TheologyWeb news and announcements. This is not a debate area. There will be times when you won't agree with certain official announcements and commentary. If so, do not argue or dispute in this area but take it up in an appropriate area of the forum or by Private Message. Threads may only be started by TheologyWeb leadership, but responses may be posted by the entire community.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Theologyweb is 20 years old!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I joined a month after TWeb started. Had a friend dating a Mormon girl and he asked me to investigate it. I got in touch with an apologist who referred me to JPH who referred me here.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Yes! Quite a bit in the old days. You never saw the discussions with Blonde or Jackie that were quite spirited. And lots of others that I can't remember.

Civics kind of takes over everything else these days. We need YOU to get some good theological discussions going.
      I think a cause of the loss of discussion is too many people trying to make an argument via video link. Usually, I'm around 5 to 10 minutes as a mental break from working 9 to 5. I just have the time to listen to 30 minute or longer videos and formulate a response.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I think a cause of the loss of discussion is too many people trying to make an argument via video link. Usually, I'm around 5 to 10 minutes as a mental break from working 9 to 5. I just have the time to listen to 30 minute or longer videos and formulate a response.

Quite possibly part of the reason. A lot has to do with the acrimony in politics that seems to be prevalent for the past 6 or so years.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Generally speaking I'm never interested in watching a video unless it's actually of a specific incident.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Generally speaking I'm never interested in watching a video unless it's actually of a specific incident.
            I personally don't mind brief, circa 10 minutes or less, teaching videos. I just don't have time for anything longer these days.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Quite possibly part of the reason. A lot has to do with the acrimony in politics that seems to be prevalent for the past 6 or so years.
              True. Unfortunately, too many Christians are defining their Christianity by their political beliefs. At this point, I am now officially and I will .

Comment

True. Unfortunately, too many Christians are defining their Christianity by their political beliefs. At this point, I am now officially and I will .
                It's not off topic to talk about patterns of discussion over the years on Tweb! Helps us remember so maybe we can improve!

And I agree with you that we are prone to define ourselves by our political beliefs. Although we can't let those beliefs completely define us, the fruit of our lives should show in our ideologies regarding what is right in GOD's eyes, and that means we have to take a stand in this sin-sick world through which we are travelling.

There! A bit of a theological discussion!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's not off topic to talk about patterns of discussion over the years on Tweb! Helps us remember so maybe we can improve!

And I agree with you that we are prone to define ourselves by our political beliefs. Although we can't let those beliefs completely define us, the fruit of our lives should show in our ideologies regarding what is right in GOD's eyes, and that means we have to take a stand in this sin-sick world through which we are travelling.

Thanks.

It is sad that instead of our religious beliefs defining our political beliefs, it too often goes the other way.

Comment

Thanks.

It is sad that instead of our religious beliefs defining our political beliefs, it too often goes the other way.
                    Unfortunately that's nothing new, although it does seem more pronounced as of late.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As I've thought about this, it seems to be that the people who are joining don't end up talking about Christian beliefs. The last one who joined who I remember that made an impact in the Christian forums was the beloved Dave L .

I don't know the causes. The rise of emotions to rule over facts; relevant truth resulting in no one seeking truth; I live in my bubble and I don't want to know things outside of it; a horrid Sunday School system in the 70's, 80's, and 90's that resulted in so many kids turning away from Christianity when they became adults; other.

I'm glad TWeb is here for those who want discussion as they try to find and grow in Christ. But I think those numbers are declining.

I pledge that I will try to more often participate in Christianity threads even if the topic isn't of interest.

Comment

As I've thought about this, it seems to be that the people who are joining don't end up talking about Christian beliefs. The last one who joined who I remember that made an impact in the Christian forums was the beloved Dave L .

I don't know the causes. The rise of emotions to rule over facts; relevant truth resulting in no one seeking truth; I live in my bubble and I don't want to know things outside of it; a horrid Sunday School system in the 70's, 80's, and 90's that resulted in so many kids turning away from Christianity when they became adults; other.

I'm glad TWeb is here for those who want discussion as they try to find and grow in Christ. But I think those numbers are declining.

I pledge that I will try to more often participate in Christianity threads even if the topic isn't of interest.
                        I'm not much of a topic-starter, and the topics that most interest me -- Charismatic/Pentecostal issues and Patriarchalism/Hierarchical-Complementarianism vs. Egalitarianism/Mutualism/Non-Hierarchical Complementarianism -- have been fairly well trod, and can generate more heat than light.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I just noticed that this year Tweb is 20 years old.

Someone ought to start a thread.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I just noticed that this year Tweb is 20 years old.

Someone ought to start a thread.
                            Next year we get to drink!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I was never one much for these rules thingies

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

If TWeb was based in Australia, that would have happened two years ago. And if in France, it would never have been an issue.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X