Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump explicitly floats idea of delaying the election ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Regardless of whether the the governments actions are right or wrong?
    Of course not.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      In your narrative, the vast majority of the protestors are anarchists seeking to destroy things all the time.
      Absolutely false, but that's not surprising.

You focus on the viokencexand
      Not sure what that is.

ignore the vast majority which are not..
      What "peaceful protester" protests in a riot area?

Thus, the problem is your narrative isn't reality any more than the narrative you are focused on. The reality is the destroyers come out after dark after a day of peaceful protesting and they are the minority. The reality is these troops have escalated the violence by their overly agressive actions, drawing more and more normal citizens to join the protests against their brutality and the oppressive nature wrt their constitutional right to protest.
      Meh..... the story seems to be that it's less violent during the day, but as night comes, things get rowdy. You're thinking maybe there's a day shift and a night shift?

So, supposing the narrative these federal troops
      "Troops" would be appropriate if they were National Guard - "federal officers" is more appropriate here.

are 'completely unidentified' isnt quite true,
      Correct -- they are NOT 'completely unidentified' - that was 'narrative".

technically they do have at least some form of identification on them.
      No, not "technically" -- literally.

How then are you any less guilty of doing exactly the same thing you are criticizing by mischaracterizing the nature of the majority of the protests? And by not recognizing the overlyvaggressive nature of these troops?
      Officers. And I have already spoken clearly against any abuse of power by anybody, including local police, federal officers, protesters...

And how is it ever going to be possible to get past the politcally motivated rhetoric if even those that claim commitment to the truth through Christ you, a pastor even, are willing to put forward a distorted narrative in the debate?
      A) You have failed to show ANY 'distorted narrative' on my behalf.
      2) I'm sure your anti-Christian colleagues will amen this gratuitous and cowardly attack on my character.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Calm yourself, brother --- I already addressed that in Post #209. It ain't happening.
        It would be worthwhile to make sure Trump knows that his term won't be extended unless he wins an election, so he doesn't go out of his way to put roadblocks up to try to delay the election.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
          It would be worthwhile to make sure Trump knows that his term won't be extended unless he wins an election, so he doesn't go out of his way to put roadblocks up to try to delay the election.
          I'll let him know when I talk to him after lunch.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
            I've just published this book, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/17...t_bibl_vppi_i0. In my senility I can teach you Quantum Field Theory.
            I can't afford it right now, but I've added this to my wishlist!

Comment

I don't know that it was "immediately before", as in related to, or not. There are varying accounts.
              According to Barr, the decision to disperse the rioters was made independently of the President's decision to walk to the church.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                According to Barr, the decision to disperse the rioters was made independently of the President's decision to walk to the church.
                Yeah, but Barr is a pathological liar and eats baby seals for lunch after clubbing them with his gas-guzzling SUV while not wearing a mask.

Comment

In your narrative, the vast majority of the protestors are anarchists seeking to destroy things all the time. You focus on the viokencexand ignore the vast majority which are not.. Thus, the problem is your narrative isn't reality any more than the narrative you are focused on. The reality is the destroyers come out after dark after a day of peaceful protesting and they are the minority. The reality is these troops have escalated the violence by their overly agressive actions, drawing more and more normal citizens to join the protests against their brutality and the oppressive nature wrt their constitutional right to protest.

So, supposing the narrative these federal troops are 'completely unidentified' isnt quite true, technically they do have at least some form of identification on them. How then are you any less guilty of doing exactly the same thing you are criticizing by mischaracterizing the nature of the majority of the protests? And by not recognizing the overlyvaggressive nature of these troops?

And how is it ever going to be possible to get past the politcally motivated rhetoric if even those that claim commitment to the truth through Christ you, a pastor even, are willing to put forward a distorted narrative in the debate?

I think that one of the problems has been that a good number of the peaceful protesters see nothing wrong with aiding and abetting the violent riders. It's the new radical chic thing to do in order to be cool.

Need an example? Look at all the protesters who participate in using a sea of umbrellas to block the view of the police so that they can't see what the bad apples are up to. Look at how they quickly open up a gap so that someone can use a slingshot to propel things like rocks and canned goods at bone-breaking if not lethal velocities, and then just as quickly close the gap so that the perpetrator can run off and blend in with the crowd.

Those doing this are willfully aiding those who want to do violence to accomplish it.

The only viable defense is to claim that these umbrella brigades aren't part of the peaceful protesters either. But that causes another problem. Given the size of these groups if they aren't peaceful protesters then you can't keep pretending that those out there committing violent acts are a tiny fraction. No, now you'd have to admit that they are a sizable part of the mob.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah, but Barr is a pathological liar and eats baby seals for lunch after clubbing them with his gas-guzzling SUV while not wearing a mask.
                    Oh, right, I keep forgetting.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Now, consider that you and others tend to characterize democrats and liberal points of view the exact same way? Have you or others considered the possibility that the characterizations you, mm, rogue and others use of pelosi or Obama or schiff are just as absurd?
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Now, consider that you and others tend to characterize democrats and liberal points of view the exact same way?
                        OK....

Have you or others considered the possibility that the characterizations you, mm, rogue and others use of pelosi or Obama or schiff are just as absurd?
                        Not really. But I wouldn't put Obama in with those two other spawns of Satan.

Comment

OK....

Not really. But I wouldn't put Obama in with those two other spawns of Satan.
                          So - is that an attempt at a joke? Or do you actually believe that you can justify thinking that way about Pelosi and Schiff, while at the same time mocking others for thinking that way about Barr and Trump?
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

So - is that an attempt at a joke?
                            It's a realization that it doesn't matter what I say to you. You have, on more than a few occasions, mischaracterized my comments, or attributed to me positions I do not hold.
                            I have had to tell you things multiple times, and each time you seem to be hearing it for the first time.

Or do you actually believe that you can justify thinking that way about Pelosi and Schiff, while at the same time mocking others for thinking that way about Barr and Trump?
                            I think PS&T are very much hyper-partisan, Barr is not.

Comment

Well, it's an opportunity for you to display your hate, so....
                              Psst, I haven't shown any hate but you do, over and over. I guess your mommy didn't give you enough love. So Trans/Drag Queen beware, Cow Poke is on the move, gunning for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]47365[/ATTACH]

I think that one of the problems has been that a good number of the peaceful protesters see nothing wrong with aiding and abetting the violent riders. It's the new radical chic thing to do in order to be cool.

Need an example? Look at all the protesters who participate in using a sea of umbrellas to block the view of the police so that they can't see what the bad apples are up to. Look at how they quickly open up a gap so that someone can use a slingshot to propel things like rocks and canned goods at bone-breaking if not lethal velocities, and then just as quickly close the gap so that the perpetrator can run off and blend in with the crowd.

Those doing this are willfully aiding those who want to do violence to accomplish it.

The only viable defense is to claim that these umbrella brigades aren't part of the peaceful protesters either. But that causes another problem. Given the size of these groups if they aren't peaceful protesters then you can't keep pretending that those out there committing violent acts are a tiny fraction. No, now you'd have to admit that they are a sizable part of the mob.
                                Without condoning the actions themselves, I would blame that on a response to the escalations associated with bringing in the federal troops and their own overly aggressive attacks on the protesters in general. Attacks like those recorded relative to the Navy vet who they beat without provocation, breaking his hand produced a stepped up response to their aggression. If fact, this is the problem with an overly aggressive federal response. The goal should be to relieve tensions, not drive them higher. Yet there mode of the response could have only one outcome - heightened tension.

What seems trivially obvious but which seems to have been lost on the current administration is that protests against aggression and racism can only be made worse by the sort of aggressive response Trump unleashed. At it's core, this is about the moral rights of US citizens. About the oppression of black people at the hands of police. And it is very, very rare that a man like MLK or John Lewis can lead such a protest with a high non-violence standard. Protests against oppression are based in deep seated anger an almost always turn violent when the response is yet more oppression.

Indeed - even with all this those in power have not learned their lesson. Consider:

https://www.thecut.com/2020/08/secre...h-a-rifle.html

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...them-separated

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...988_story.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tw...id/ar-BB17wCbg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...near-Mall.html

They were held at gunpoint, they were never mirandized, this happened in front of their small children, and the cars were searched without probable cause. There was nothing here except two women out to let their kids play in the fountain on the mall.

Comment