Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

My eyes have been opened the last few weeks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

My apologies. I, personally, AM doing what I can, but I don't think you can deny that part of the problem is the flames being fanned by the media with regards to....

I'll see myself out.
    I wasn't trying to kick you out of the thread! I'm sorry.

I will admit that these experiences have led me to re-evaluate what I think about those I see at work wearing Black Lives Matter shirts. At this point, I can't blame them, and I doubt many of them think about it in terms of the organization's larger agenda. They are regularly being told, sometimes verbatim, that they don't matter.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      No prob.

I will admit that these experiences have led me to re-evaluate what I think about those I see at work wearing Black Lives Matter shirts. At this point, I can't blame them, and I doubt many of them think about it in terms of the organization's larger agenda. They are regularly being told, sometimes verbatim, that they don't matter.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Unfortunately a number of those on the left now believe that being hateful, violent and racist themselves which results in anger that often includes racist hate, somehow justifies their initial (and continued) hateful, violent and racist behavior
        Exactly, kind of a vicious cycle, or self-fulfilled prophesy or something.

I have to wonder how many people, who had "calmed down" with regards to racist feelings or thoughts, have now "dug in", thinking they're justified for their racist thoughts or feelings.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

It is easy to be attracted to some policy or movement that we only know superficially. I know that the free market policy sounded good 20 years ago. However, it became bad when all our labor-intensive work was out-sourced to China slave labor and then supported China's military growth. Maybe the idea of a free market would have been okay if we had responsible corporations and a proper import tax. Still, the main point is that we are attracted to only the sound-bytes while not knowing the deeper implications of policies and groups.

Comment

So looking forward to the New Universe.... No death, suffering, pain, mounring, or evil there!
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              So looking forward to the New Universe.... No death, suffering, pain, mounring, or evil there!
              However that depends on what one believes the New Universe is. John Hick (Theologian) speculates that since it is obvious that one (or very few) ever truly 'achieve' their fullest expression of Humanity (i.e. Humanity which images the Divine or Love), that additional lives are necessary until we all are ready for the fullness of the Kingdom. It is an interesting theory but I have no idea so I leave the details to God. However some of what Hick says rights true: that 'more time' is needed for us to become sons and daughters of the Father.

Comment

Originally posted by thormas View Post

However that depends on what one believes the New Universe is. John Hick (Theologian) speculates that since it is obvious that one (or very few) ever truly 'achieve' their fullest expression of Humanity (i.e. Humanity which images the Divine or Love), that additional lives are necessary until we all are ready for the fullness of the Kingdom. It is an interesting theory but I have no idea so I leave the details to God. However some of what Hick says rights true: that 'more time' is needed for us to become sons and daughters of the Father.
                That sounds like reincarnation(unbiblical!). Though, some do believe in Purgatory. Anyway, the intermediate state is not the New Universe. The New Universe hasn't happened yet. It's when we get glorified bodies.

Comment

That sounds like reincarnation(unbiblical!). Though, some do believe in Purgatory. Anyway, the intermediate state is not the New Universe. The New Universe hasn't happened yet. It's when we get glorified bodies.
                  I agree on one hand it does. However, Hick was a devote Christian and a brilliant philosopher/theologian and is grappling with a valid concern. It seems it is not over until all are saved and then the Kingdom or your new universe. The intriguing question is do we need additional lifetimes to become sons and daughter of God, to become as Christ is?

Actually, Hick is not talking about reincarnating back to this life/world but a further incarnation in a new, similar existence where we continue to work out the fullness of our Humanity.

Comment

I sort of like the idea of purgatory, not traditionally understood but the idea that, as in this life, a further 'purging' of selfishness or self-centeredness is necessary as one short life is not long enough for most human beings.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      What we can do as Christians?

1. Not be racist ourselves. All people are the same in Christ.
                      2. Spread the gospel. The more people who become Christians, the less racism there should be, if we all follow #1
                      3. Defend people we see who are being subjected to it.
                      I like the list. May I suggest the following additions:
                      4. Not all discrimination is because of racism. Be more aware of discriminatory attitudes. (Full disclosure: I'm handicapped and I've been disappointed that in all the discussion about diversity, the handicapped are left out.)
                      5. Do not stereotype. Current example, you're white therefore you're racist even if you don't know it.
                      6. Not all the problems in the world are caused by racism. The world is very complex and we should point out there are other factors involved.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I like the list. May I suggest the following additions:
                        4. Not all discrimination is because of racism. Be more aware of discriminatory attitudes. (Full disclosure: I'm handicapped and I've been disappointed that in all the discussion about diversity, the handicapped are left out.)
                        5. Do not stereotype. Current example, you're white therefore you're racist even if you don't know it.
                        6. Not all the problems in the world are caused by racism. The world is very complex and we should point out there are other factors involved.
                        Yeah, simple ignorance suffices to explain a lot of things that people are now calling racist. "There is no need to assume malice when ignorance will suffice as an explanation" is something people need to learn. I forgot where I heard that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Yeah, simple ignorance suffices to explain a lot of things that people are now calling racist. "There is no need to assume malice when ignorance will suffice as an explanation" is something people need to learn. I forgot where I heard that one.

Yet some Christians and others are simply ignorant that they are racists or that racism can be and is systematic.

Comment

Did they miss that verse about Jesus destroying cultural divisions? No male or female, slave or free, Jew or Greek? That in Christ, your gender, socioeconomic level, and people group don't make you more or less valuable than someone else? Racism is a sin!

Comment

Did they miss that verse about Jesus destroying cultural divisions? No male or female, slave or free, Jew or Greek? That in Christ, your gender, socioeconomic level, and people group don't make you more or less valuable than someone else? Racism is a sin!
                              True enough but some people, including some Christians, skip over this verse.

Comment

For being the smartest in the Animal Kingdom, we humans can still be stupid!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X